1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop too LOUD!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by monkeynuts, Mar 19, 2005.

1. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Since buying a nice quiet Shuttle PC for HC duties i have confirmed that my laptop really is too loud and very hot!

It's a desktop replacement that runs a desktop P4 2.4, ATI 9000, 512 DDR and a 40Gb HDD.

The fans (small - not helping!) are always on and any slight load means they spin upto full speed - hence very LOUD!

I've done a bit of research and it appears i may be able to underclock the P4 as it is now only used for surfing, a bit of burning with external DVD-RW drive etc...

Any advice would be greatly received as i don't really want to buy a different laptop!

Cheers

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hey John :)

Thanks for the links, i already have a aluminium based laptop cooler that has 2 quiet 80mm case fans built into it. Tho a heat pipe based example seems worth a try if i get stuck...

The trouble i have is that it sucks air in at the bottom rather than out like most other laptops.

I bought a cheapy cooler that did exactly that, so ripped it apart and used the powersupply and wiring to make a proper one.

Fanspeed says that the CPU temp comes upto 61C when it's been on for ten mins or so, then the fans kick in then off then on again etc etc!

Might have a play with the fans that are actually in the laptop as they're the root of the problem.....oh and the seperate powersupply even has a fan!

Thanks again, and hope work is going well - keep it up - not long now :)

4. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Out of interest, I would like to buy a laptop. Purely for wireless surfing, Itunes etc. Also with good battery life, does anyone have any recommendations?

ATB

Darren

5. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Anything that runs nice and cool and quiet!

Centrino based setups seem to be the way to go, i've just picked up a copy of this months PC Pro and they test a good range of laptops for under a grand. The tests for heat, sound battery life (under various conditions) and performance are all listed....

Best bet is to have a read of a test like that or pick up a copy of what laptop just to get a feel for what's about, then research specific models in forums to see what "real people" say about them!

Cheers

Sam