Laptop to TV - Audio and Video?

M

MarshallM

Hi,

I've had a search and couldn't really find what I've been looking for, so... :)

What's the best way to connect my MacBook Pro to an LCD TV for both audio and video?

Laptop has: USB; DVI; Normal mini-jack headphone socket; Firewire 400/800

TV has: HDMI; composite (AV); S-Video; D-Sub for PC input; Component; RF Input; Scart.

Had this problem with old CRT TVs in the past too! Thanks for your suggestions, video wise I would guess DVI > HDMI cable, but then not sure what I'd do for sound. :)

you would need to check if there is a separate audio in on the HDMI usually a red and white phono connection if there is stick a lead from the headphone jack into the 2 phonos. if not there should be an audio input for the vga connection so use a dvi-vga adaptor you should be sorted.

md1542

Novice Member
You have several options for video:

you could use a DVI - HDMI cable, or an apple Apple DVI to Video Adapter, which would allow you to use composite for S-Video at the TV end.

Re Audio, you'll need a stereo to RCA audio jack, which outputs from the headphone jack on the laptop. You should have RCA audio inputs (red and white) on the back of the TV....

Marmite

Novice Member
Can you connect new Macbook Pros up to LCD tv's via VGA, like you can with a PC? just wondering, as im thinking of getting both soon and would like to have the Laptop running through the TV when at home.

M

MarshallM

They have a DVI out port, so yes you can. :) I know that much! Works with external monitors via a DVI cable or DVI to D-Sub/VGA cable (like what I need for TV).

Thanks guys, so it doesn't matter if I use HDMI or D-Sub on the TV - the red and white RCA will still work?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom