1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop to Tosh problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by stewbold, Feb 18, 2005.

1. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I am trying to connect my laptop to the Toshiba 46" DLP. I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Laptop with an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card. Plenty of RAM and processor speed. I am connecting using a VGA cable. Whatever I do, all I seem to get on the TVs display is the desktop picture in the middle of the screen and nothing else. The TV says "XGA". I have tried to play around with the display settings to no avail (incl 1024X768) Don't get me wrong. The desktop picture looks lovely on the big screen but would like to play some DIVX stuff etc.

Any ideas or is it time to invest in a new graphics card for the laptop?

Many thanks

Stewart

PS. I have the same problem when trying to connect my PC's monitor so I am sure the problem is at the laptop end.

2. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Now sorted

Stewart

3. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Stewbold

I'd be interested to hear what you did. I have the Tosh 52" on order and have a Dell laptop with same graphics card that you have. What connection etc did you find worked OK?

4. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Les

I use a VGA lead from the laptop to the TV for the Pic and connect my laptop to an amp for the sound, though you can connect direct to the TV if you have the right lead.

Here (I think is how I sorted out the problem (which was at the laptop end):

Right click on the desktop and select properties to get the display properties box. Then select "settings". Make sure that you have "multiple monitors on ATI mobility radeon" selected under "display". Then select "advanced". This brings you onto the page of ATI options. Select "Displays". Then click on ""Monitor" (for some reason although it is connectd to a TV it doesnt recognise this-maybe would only work with a DVI connection?) Set max res at 1024X768 and refresh rate at 60hz. Click apply and then OK. Under the monitor tab there are buttons for "1" and "2". Select "1" (making the monitor the main display). Click apply and then OK. Yout TV should now be your laptops display where your laptop will now just display the background pic.
    You should also by the way before you do this, select PC on the Tosh's handset.

Hope this helps

Stewart

5. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks stewbold - I will get a long vga lead ordered. Do you find the TV as a display good? From other threads I believe it should be OK.

6. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As a display for the laptop? yes very good.-though I am not using it for general PC stuff. Mainly been using it with the Divx player and some of the HI-Def DivX clips. These look absolutely stunning on the TV. Its alao quite handy for photo slide shows etc.

Regards

Stewart

7. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stewbold, where did you get your Hi-Def DivX clips?

Are they just clips or movies? Are there any hi-def divx movies available already?

8. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8