Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Laptop to PWD8?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by yeff, Nov 4, 2005.

1. yeff

yeff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, have now got my Panny :thumbsup: not managed to connect to Sky/Dvd yet just had quick try with laptop, was just wondering what resolution I should set laptop to for best picture on plasma (just connected via VGA)

2. arby1

arby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    all depends on whether you're going to use your plasma as the main screen (a clone of your desktop) or an extended portion of your laptop screen (where you drag windows off the side of your laptop screen and they appear on the plasma. If it's the first one then you'll prob have to leave the resolution at 1024x768. This means you'll have a stretched image on the plasma unless you choose to run it in 4:3 mode. If you're running it as an extension of the laptop screen, choose a widescreen resolution that matches as well as possible the native resolution of the plasma. My graphics driver allows this already, but other people have problems and use a program called powerstrip (i think) to do it

edit: what panny you got? is is HD?

3. yeff

yeff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the PWD, will be just mostly using it to watch movies and watch trailers etc!
    What would be best for that,cloned or an extension of desktop?

4. arby1

arby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    so it has a native resolution of 1024x768 then?? (42" model?) if so then a clone of your desktop at that resolution would give the best picture quality, but it would be very stretched, but if you can make the films look good then this would be fine- do this by playing widescreen films in 4:3 mode so they look squashed on your laptop but then stretched back to normal on the plasma.
    If you're looking to do any text work on the plasma then this isn't suitable, and you should use a wide-screen resolution- 1360x768 i think, but this will need an extended desktop so you keep the standard resolution on the laptop, but usually you can only play video's on the primary monitor, so you can select an option to make the plasma the primary one, but you're just going to have to play about with it to see what's best

edit: it's actually got a resolution of 852x480- but it should hopefully still accept the 1024x768 signal and scale it. You just need to sort out the squashing and stretching of films part

5. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The PWD7 accepts a 1024x768 res nicely so you shouldn't have any problems with the 8 series.

6. yeff

yeff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for replies, hopefully get it sorted tomorrow.

7. steve-o

steve-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Running mine in 1024*768 and it looks superb, definately the best res I've found so far :D

8. yeff

yeff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve-o, just got in off nighshift, so will try it later.

9. steve-o

steve-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No problem yeff, the res is just right because it fills the screen but doesnt overscan either, so you see the full desktop without having to fiddle around with the remote. Really clear but not completely crisp.

Ive yet to find a resolution with the screens native divider that the graphics chip works with(i.e. 852/480 = 1.775). Closest I've found that works is 1366*768 (which gives the divider 1.778), but that just looks squashed and strange.