Laptop to LCD via VGA problem

jm28cardiff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hooked my laptop to my W4000 via VGA, but windows media player and realplayer wont display on the tv, even though they are on the computer monitor - the player is there, but the footage isnt. Any ideas?

Last edited:
This looks like an overlay problem, u should be able to enable/disable hardware video overlay at the vga card's settings. What kind of video card does you're laptop has?

Source:
"
A common complaint is that DVD movies are displayed properly on a laptop screen but don't display on a TV connected to the laptop; in these cases it may be possible to designate the TV as the primary display. Sometimes, the use of hardware overlays may have to be disabled in the media player. However, some graphics cards have the option to completely redirect hardware overlay to the TV screen. In this case, starting a DVD player on the main screen with overlay enabled would result in video being displayed on the attached TV screen."

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, it set me on the right course, I went into display settings and chose the TV as the main display.

Now I think I need a separate lead to get the sound throught the TV, d'oh!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom