Laptop to LCD TV via DVi-HDMi problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mawilliams, Jan 4, 2007.

1. mawilliams

mawilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Having a problem with jerky playback via my laptop to my LCD TV. When I connect it via DVi to HDMi the playback becomes jerky, very noticable on camera pans. However if I connect it via my VGA cable this does not happen, the camera pans are nice a smooth. Could this be down to the quality of the cable? I am using a 3 meter Belkin DVi to HDMi cable costing £14. Not one of their Pure AV cables. Or is there another reason for the jerky playback? I read somewhere that the HDMi cable was looking for either a 720p or 1080i resolution therefore creating jerky playback via 1360 x 768, which is the resolution I am using.

Many thanks in advance.
    Mark

2. mawilliams

mawilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently altered the above post. cheers.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Impossible to think of how a poor cable could cause this.

Not sure what it is you've read that you interpreted as "HDMI cable looking for 720 or 1080" but the cable itself is simply a digital connection so per se imposes no restrictions. It's true that 'hidef' refers to 720p and/or 1080[ip] and the standard for HDMI specifies only a very few resolutions, so that's maybe how you got that impression.

However, since I assume that you're not using an HDMI connection as such (meaning you're simply using a digital connection with HDMI connectors) then any such specifications won't apply.

Pan jerkiness is most usually caused by the refresh rate .. using a 60hz refresh on PAL video for example.

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,544
    I concur with that, plus the possibility that a lot of TV sets don't like running custom resolutions via their HDMI input...They normally only like 720p, 1080i, etc....Video resolution in short of which your 1360x768 is not one! What the VGA input is allowing you to do (most likely) is to address your LCD natively hence you get a better result...

Change the resolution of your laptop to a video resolution for DVI-HDMI output and my guess is that you will get good results...