• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Laptop to LCD HMDI Connectivity Issue

C

casualsurfer

First, my apologies if this has been posted before but I believe mine is a slightly different issue.

I bought a brand new Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop and a brand new Samsung LCD LE40A558P3FXXU (Series 5, 40"). The laptop has a Graphic Intel Integrated GMA X3100 and an HDMI port. The Samsung also comes with the HDMI port. I bought a new HDMI male to male cable. I connected my laptop and the LCD TV with the HDMI cable. For the first time, I was asked few options as to whether I would like to use a single monitor, or extend my LCD as an extended screen. I chose the option to keep the display in both my laptop and LCD TV.
Ever since, all I see is a noise which indicates it is trying to connect whenever I connect the laptop and the LCD TV. The TV tries to search for signals and finally gives up with no signal.
I changed my laptop resolution to 1280 X 720 but still no joy.

Has anyone had any similar experience as mine ? Can please someone tell me whether I am missing anything ? :lease:

Thanks in advance !

funkyspider

Prominent Member
Can it cope with displaying HDMI and laptop screen at the same time ?

What happens if you use the function key to switch output to the external screen only (FN + F? - my sony is FN+F8, but I don't know what Dell use)

wkc

Standard Member
I think you need to download the most up to date drivers. Then try using the tv as panel 2 of the extended desktop. You may need to then adjust the display settings for the tv, ie desktop resolution and maybe the tv type, for example 1080i 30hz.

Also can you verify the hdmi port on your laptop is working correctly?

Regards

C

casualsurfer

Thanks, getting the latest Intel driver did work to some extent. I can now use my laptop as my main desktop, TV as an extended one and also, use the TV as the main one. FN + F8 does exactly the same as Sony's - blanks out my laptop and the TV gets all the focus. For the image to come out correctly, I had to use a resolution of 1900 X 1600 for a 40" TV.
The only problem now is sound. I am still using the laptop speakers whereas I would like to use the Volume control of the TV. I picked up the Sigmatel Audio driver from the Dell site (recommended by Dell for my model) but still no joy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark_a

Prominent Member
You probably have to manually tell the sound drivers to choose digital output as the default, otherwise it'll continue to pick speakers first. Don't forget that you'll have to manually change it back to speakers when not connected to the TV if you want to hear sound again.

Regards

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom