1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop to 37pf9986 via DVI

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Tony B, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well I have the physical connection sorted out, but regardless of the resolution I choose on the laptop I get the same message on the TV - "Picture format not available"

What am I doing wrong?

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check that your graphics card is set to 1024x768 at 60Hz. I'm guessing that the 60Hz bit is the most important.

3. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I tried all resolutions, which included 1024*768. I can only set 60hz anyway.

Even tried rebooting the pc from cold...

Is there a configuration within the TV set-up for this sort of thing?

4. stevie_velvet

stevie_velvet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your trying the dvi - vga cable that come with it ? ~ have you confirmed you can output a external picture from your laptop ?
    try changing to a lower resolution and with that a higher refresh rate & ensure latest drivers are installed

i'm looking at the same setup also for next year so am keen how you get on

------------------------

stevie velvet (ms.)

5. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

I am using VGA>VGA>adaptor>DVI

It is a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have used other Dells in this manner, outputing to projectors, although I have not tried it with this particular one I can think of no reason why it would be different.

Make physical connection and then hit Fn+F8, which normally toggles between 1 display (internal), then the other (TV or projector) then both simultaneously.

When I hit the Fn+F8 keys I get the message mentioned above on the TV screen, so something is getting through.

I tried all available resolution options. I only have 60Hz refresh rate option available on the laptop. I wonder whether this the problem?

Using Windows XP SP2, if that makes any difference.

6. stevie_velvet

stevie_velvet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so long as the laptop is tested as output to another external screen, then i suggest borrowing someone's VGA-DVI interface are upping the refresh rate or horizontal scan rate

have you checked both modes of the inspron, i.e. External + Internal, & External only ?

..a have look at other threads as they seem to get PC-DVI to work ok

2 more things, for my own planned setup, can you post a pcture of the connectors, i can't find on anywhere on the internet
    lastly...how have you connected ta AV source to it ?

thx

-----------------------

stevie velvet (ms.)

7. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    your best off using a VGA port if your telly has one, or the TV out (svhs) on the laptop.
    vga->DVI which your basicly doing works only some times without any headaches.