Laptop sound problems

azz00

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, basically to follow on from my last thread, the nothing on screen was caused by something on the board which has now been repaired.

However, I now have no sound. No sound will play through the internal speakers. And no sound will play even when I have a jack plugged into the laptop.

I have tried unistalling the driver and reinstalling it. Its not muted anywhere so I am out of ideas.

Does anyone have anymore ideas? Or does anyone know if USB speakers will work?

Cheers.

Hi all, basically to follow on from my last thread, the nothing on screen was caused by something on the board which has now been repaired.

However, I now have no sound. No sound will play through the internal speakers. And no sound will play even when I have a jack plugged into the laptop.

I have tried unistalling the driver and reinstalling it. Its not muted anywhere so I am out of ideas.

Does anyone have anymore ideas? Or does anyone know if USB speakers will work?

Cheers.
I am assuming you are on Vista with a HD Audio system? if so, go to control panel, sounds, and make sure that the speakers and not the digital output is the default device.

I am assuming you are on Vista with a HD Audio system? if so, go to control panel, sounds, and make sure that the speakers and not the digital output is the default device.

Im on XP buddy, is the setting in same place.

Goto Control Panel and choose System, click the HARDWARE tab, then the Device Manager button, check you have no red or yellow marks on anything, if you do it is a missing or incorrect driver, make sure none are under Sound, Video & Game controllers.

Next you could go to START -> Run

Type in dxdiag and click OK

This starts the DirectX diagnostics Tool, let it scan through (takes about 30 seconds), click on the SOUNDS tab, check it lists a hardware device and that it says 'No problems found' at the bottom, if all is ok there, click the 'Test DirectSound' button.

If you still get nothing, go to the Windows Control panel -> Sounds & Audio Devices, click on the AUDIO tab, then the VOLUME button under Sound Playback, check nothing is muted and that all volume sliders are off the bottom.

If all the above is fine, I'd suspect a faulty speaker (if you are on the internal ones), or a faulty connection port or external speaker, hopefully you've already tested both this before you started messing with drivers though.

If it's still not working, you can buy a cheap (£3-6) USB soundcard (try DealExtreme), or a USB headset these incorporate their own sound card, bypassing the PCs built in one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom