1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Sound Card

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Savan, May 6, 2005.

1. Savan

Savan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got my laptop connected to my LCD screen, and have the audio connected to a home cinema system using an RCA jack with a stereo audio jack. The sound is pretty useless.

I am considering getting an external USB sound card from someone like Creative, and instead of connecting the home cinema system, I'll use my desktop PC surround sound speaker package.

:lease:
    Does anyone know if this will make a slight bit of difference?? Will the sound card provide much better sound compared to the inbuilt one?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sav

2. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Savan

Savan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fencer

The laptop I have has got a Soundblaster 3D compatible 16 bit chip built in. I guess what I'm asking is: when playing DivX's, I find I currently have poor sound. I've read that WinDVD gives you better sound than WMP, but I thought that it might just be down to the fact that the built in sound chip is poor.

Do you think the Creative External USB kit will provide better sound than the built in chip? Like you, I have Altec Lansing THX speakers and sub for my desktop which I want to plug in.

Thanks
    Sav

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You could look at the Audiotrak Optoplay. It offers an optical output in a very small package, so it can hook right up to the receiver via optical. The optical socket also doubles as an analog line-out and a headphone socket.