1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Requirements Please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cyberdudelion, Jan 4, 2001.

1. cyberdudelion

cyberdudelion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The laptop is not for HTPC use but more for my dad to watch movies on the go. He's decided to buy his first computer (!) and wants all the bells and whistles. Basic config is a 850 Mhz processor with 128 MB Ram.

1.The dvd player is 8x speed. Is this ok? 2.What software will he need to view movies? 3.And what graphics card will he require (if any, will the player be using software decoding?).

These are the computer video controller details:
    ATI Mobility 128-bit graphic accelerator with 4x AGP support; Standard 16MB of intergrated video SGRAM, optional 32 MB video SGRAM also available at point of order only.

Is there any point in getting 32MB RAM?

I am not considering portable dvd players.

Any and all help appreciated.

Best wishes for the new year.

2. adnix

adnix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

That's fine.

Because your laptop uses the ATI chipset, your best bet is Software Cinemaster. It may actually come with the laptop.

Considering it's 850MHz, software decoding will be just fine.

Possibly yes, but I'm not sure... For the best DVD playback, a "video overlay" is used and this can take up a lot of memory.

Good luck!