1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop recommendations?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kramer, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a notebook & as I haven't researched these recently, I haven't a clue where to start :(

Beside the usual Dell etc. I've seen some nice Toshiba notebooks in PC World. I like the high resolution 16/9 panel displays.

It won't be a desktop replacement (have enought of them already :D) but would like something reasonably powerful with decent graphics (ATI preferred).

BTW, I'll be in the US this month for 10 days so if I knew what I was looking for, I could save some €s.

In-built wireless/lan/modem etc. required also.

Any nice review sites I should have a look at? "Top 10 Laptops of '03" etc.?

Budget? Well, anything goes!

Any advice welcome.

:smoke:

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If you want a laptop for gaming, you probably can't do better than www.alienware.co.uk.

A bit pricey, but very, very good!

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gaming isn't a priority.

:)

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Mrs Lynx got a Starbook last week. I had never heard of them before :blush: but it appears to be a fair lappy. She has one of the basic models- P4 2.6 - however there is higher speced machines available. Don't know if it's what your after but no harm in looking. :)

http://www.iridium-uk.com/notebooks/s865.html

5. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    One thing to be aware of is the fact that most vendors produce a consumer range and business range

Dell give you the Insparation for home and the Latitude for business

HP/Compaq give you 2 ranges

Toshiba give you 2 ranges

NEC give you 2 ranges (Packard Bell and NEC)

and so on.

In the likes of PCW, you will only see the consumer grade kit on the shelves.

This kit is built to a price point so whilst you will appear to get a good spec, under the skin, the quality may be a bit lower.

This does not mean that they are poor laptops but as with desktop PCs, do you really want £1000 of 'free software'. Do you really want a 256mb graphics card only to find out it is shared with the main RAM and so on.

Let us know what is REALLY important to you.

6. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer was it the tiny portage R100 you were looking at?

I have one and love it, it is so light at 1kg and is a centrino so comes with wifi onboard.

Not cheap, but a lovely toy for the boys.

Makes for a very over the top netremote control.

Rgds

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys :smashin:

Requirements? Well, I'm not 100% certain TBH. 16/9 screen (highish res, 1400x800 or whatever), a DVD-rw would be nice. Memory 512mb. HDD 60/80GB. Built-in usuals, wifi, lan, modem etc.

Something pretty flexible, decent looking, reasonably quick.

Of course, if someone recommended a cheaper "must have" deal, I'd go for that. So basically, anything (within reason) goes!

Links to review sites would be a good start I guess. Anyone know a good laptop review site?

:smoke:

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  9. kofsw4

kofsw4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm getting my wife to pick me up a dell 8600 when she's in the states later this month. After loads of research it was the only one that has a 15.4" widescreen, centrino, and the new ATI Radeon 9600 mobility.

A WSXGA 1.6M CPU with 512Mb Ram, 60GB HD and DVDR came to about £1200 compared to about £1800 if I ordered it here!

As Dell only deliver, you have to get somebody in the states to order it for you though.....

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Get a powerbook.
    When the spec looks less impressive in a couple of years you'll still have a machine you like and it will still look good.

Everyone I know who buys a PC laptop ends up with a plastic brick they resent lugging about after 12 months.

Everyone I know who buys a powerbook hang onto them until the spec gets so old they have too.

I love building PCs but for a lappy I'll take a powerbook thanks very much.

11. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys ;)

13. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kramer,
    You might wanna take a look at the Acer range. Ive had mine for over a year, its on 8 hrs a day, has excellent build quality, looks good and has never let me down.

It was great value for money too.

Chipster.

14. ji_

ji_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also considering similar spec machines - tempted by Acer Ferrari and Acer 1705SMi

15. DarkJedi

DarkJedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stick with a brand name if you can - a few extra pennies now means you can still get parts for the blighter three years down the line!

Currently I'm using a Dell 8600 as it has a fantastic 1920x1200 TFT display - the extra real estate is handy during development duties!
    Sadly the graphics adapter in my example is the GeForce FX5650 - but they are shipping with ATI 9600s now (and in theory at least the later Inspirons have replaceable graphics modules so they can be upgraded - if Dell will sell the modules!)

If you need good battery life, then go for the "Pentium M" processors (aka "Centrino" - but only allowed to be called that when the Pentium-M processor is bundled with Intel's 802.11b wifi adapter as well).

Pentium 4 M processors have higher clock speeds, but use a lot more juice! (obviously!).

A Pentium M 1.7GHz is roughly equivalent to a Pentium 4M 2.2GHz, IIRC

A small point to mention, but a "gotcha" that catches many people out nonetheless - bear in mind a large number of laptops now do not come with floppy drives....
    Personally I do not mourn their passing, but it is important to a lot of folks still!

Finally, if you are out in the states and have a silly amount of cash to burn on a ludicrous spec laptop, check out this link! http://www.go-l.com/laptops/studio_silver/features/index.htm
    A laptop with 2048x1536 TFT, 2mb L3 processor cache, and a solid state "hard disk"....and only for the price of a small car! ;)