Laptop Recommendation

Blackdevil77

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m looking for a laptop recommendation. I had a Dell XPS 15 for the last several years until it stopped charging. I tried changing the charger, the jack in the computer etc and found out the issue has something to do with the mother board. After a few google searches I found that this issue is more common than I thought on the Dell XPS computers.

So I’m looking for a recommendation for a laptop that can run AutoCAD and do some light video editing work using premiere pro. Those would be the two most demanding thing I would need it to do. I’d like something as reliable and bullet proof as possible. Slim-ness and weight aren’t much of a concern as the laptop won’t be leaving the house, it would just have to be transferred from room to room. Something with at least 2 USB ports and an HDMI port would be preferable but if I need to get a hub to connect those things, that’s fine. As long as I can have an HDMI input and at least 2 USB ports. I’d like to budget for around 2 grand but if something exceptional is within reach, I can stretch the budget a bit.

Thank you

> As long as I can have an HDMI input.....
Don't think an HDMI input is that common apart from some gaming laptops used to have them.

> As long as I can have an HDMI input.....
Don't think an HDMI input is that common apart from some gaming laptops used to have them.

My XPS 15 has one. I use it when calibrating my theaters audio system. There's a program called REW (Room EQ Wizard) that uses the HDMI output on a laptop to send the signals to the theater processor that are used to calibrate. That's one of the things I use the laptop for.

I'm confused.
I was replying to: "As long as I can have an HDMI input....." INPUT??
You have written: "REW (Room EQ Wizard) that uses the HDMI output" OUTPUT??
Please clarify??

Anyway, I too have REW but haven't yet used it as I don't have a calibrated microphone. Just used the Audyssey that came with the AVR.

I'm confused.
I was replying to: "As long as I can have an HDMI input....." INPUT??
You have written: "REW (Room EQ Wizard) that uses the HDMI output" OUTPUT??
Please clarify??

Anyway, I too have REW but haven't yet used it as I don't have a calibrated microphone. Just used the Audyssey that came with the AVR.

I didn’t realize I wrote “Input” I mean output. Apologies.
REW is a great tool. I couldn’t of gotten the results I got in my room without it and MSO (Multi-sub optimizer).

Ahh well. I got a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 a year ago, 2256*1504. I have an Amazon sourced USB C Hub and have HDMI output at 4K30.
It was hooked up to Vertex2 and something made the display run at 3840*2160!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom