Quantcast

Question Laptop recommendation for 14yr old to play games

css_jay99

Hi all,

I am looking for 13" - 15" laptop for my 14yr old. Ideally with dedicated graphics. Nothing expensive but capable of handling games on steam. Also importantly easy to pickup replacement parts like keyboard & screens off ebay since they are the 1st to go wrong with teens

Also I was not sure if 2GB dedicated graphics was enough

thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The graphics memory amount is largely irrelevant, it's about how much processing power the GPU has.

Steam is one of the most popular gaming shops out there and encompasses the widest range of games possible so 'games on steam' isn't a very useful yardstick for performance. The more demanding ones will need a fairly fast laptop, I'd say an RX 560 or GTX 1050 is a sensible minimum to play any game.

css_jay99

Kid seems to spend time playing dangaronpa which has a GTX 460 minimum spec on steam. I was thinking maybe a 920M on a Dell?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The 920M is rather slow, around a quarter of the speed of a 1050 or 560. See the game benchmarks at the bottom here. I'm not sure about that particular game, the definition of minimum requirements can vary, but it will certainly not be able to run some games.

If you're looking second hand and picking one up for £200ish then maybe, but I wouldn't pay £350-400 for a new 920M machine when dell are currently doing a GTX 1050 machine for £600:
Laptops, Notebooks and 2-in-1 laptops | Dell UK

css_jay99

sorry to drag this back up again. I have narrowed down to 2 choices on the dell outlet

Refurbished Dell Inspiron 15 7577 i7 7700HQ, 8GB Ram, 4GB GTX 1050Ti, IPS screen, 128GB SSD + 1TB HHD = £720

Scratch & Dent Dell Inspiron 15 7577 i5 7300HQ, 8GB Ram, 6GB GTX 1060 , IPS screen, 256GB pcie SSD = £690

I am hopping the Scratch & dent wont as bad as it sounds. Will the GTX1060 be the better choice even though it is an i5?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If they're the same in every other way (screen, memory speed etc.) then yes the second one is the better performing machine

Top Bottom