1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Processors

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rasczak, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    I am in the market for a new laptop and whilst I am happy with the specs I want on most of the components I am totally lost on which is the best processor for my needs.

My main uses for the PC will be:
    - 3D Gaming (First person shooters)
    - DVD playback
    - (Limited) Video Editing
    - Office work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc)

...certainly in the past gaming has been a key consideration - which is currently the best chip for this in laptops? AMD or Intel? Battery life is not a major concern to me as for the most part it will be run from the mains.

Thanks!

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    If battery life isn't a factor then Celeron M maybe worth considering. However, Pentium M are better. They have been made purely for laptops and run cooler and longer battery. A Pentium with wireless in the laptop is known as Centrino. Both Celeron and Pentium M are similar in performance except the Celerons require a lot more battery power.

I have seen a Sempron 2800 in a laptop and they require big fans to keep cool which makes the laptop bigger and heavier. The speed is nothing special either and is considerably slower to the Celeron 1.5 I have seen.

The AMD Turion is supposed to be the equivalent of a Pentium M.

I would go for Centrino 1.6-2.0.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Thanks for the reply nwgarratt - I'll look towards laptops with a Pentium M processor.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    I've got a PentiumM 1.6, 512mb, and it does all those things very well. :thumbsup:

5. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If batytery life isn't a concern, get a Turion based laptop, they knock the socks off of pentium M's for memory bandwidth

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Some sites don't mention Pentium M so look for the word Centrino instead.

I am actually expecting a Acer Aspire 1691 this morning/afternoon. It should be coming with a 1.5 Pentium M (down to budget). The rest of the spec changed slightly after ordering so it may be going back. :(

I have seen several Acer's and they are excellent laptops. The same spec but branded Toshiba, Compaq etc are often £200-£300 for similar sec. However, as I just experienced. The specs change continously and there is often more than one version of the same model (different amounts of memory, graphics, hard disk etc). Some models are around for very short of time before they disappear.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I just noticed that on the Turion Acers. They claim 1600mhz FSB. :eek:

Battery life is also stated at about 3 hours. I find that is not always accurate. The Celeron Acer I saw only lasted at an hour at most on the battery (claims 2 hours on the website).

8. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Its not FSB, its Hypertransport or HTT as its known, HTT is basically a super fast bus that connects the processor to the northbridge and other components which reduces bottlenecks in the system by a mile. The FSB will be 200MHz but will have a multiplyer for both the CPU and HTT, the memory speed is determined by the processor speed as the memory controller is internal to the CPU, which then uses an internal divider to set the memory frequency, so your memory speed is determined by the processor frequency.

Both Turion and Dothan perform very similar, but Dothan's are a bit more expensive.

Here is a very good comparison

http://www.laptoplogic.com/resources/articles/42/1/1/

I however, would choose the Turion...AMD Faboi fo' lyfe :)

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Thanks for the explanation.

acernotebooks.co.uk is misleading then as it shows it as FSB speed.

10. a5ian300zx

a5ian300zx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    i got acer ferrari laptop 4005 turion 64 2GHz, 1gb ram (333mhz ram), 100gb hard drive, 128mb graphics card,

overall: i think it could be better on performance, not as fast a i wanted.

i thought it would be quick as my desktop which has the following spec:

amd 64 3200 2GHz
    1024gb ram PC3200 (400mhz) - makes alot of difference
    200gb harddisk 7200rpm 8mb cache ATA 133
    DVD RW/R/RAM
    combi dvd reader/52x cd writer
    graphics 9800 128mb all in wonder
    sound blaster audigy 2

i had it all custom built for me back in march 2004.

and damn its fast even till this day. everything through at it it takes it, but i also well maintain my PC. with various utilities to keep healthy and error free, (i've never had an error or any problems with it what so ever)

i got plenty of software and task running in memory.

i use Windows XP pro SP2 for both Laptop and Desktop.

if you looking for a portable laptop that looks fantastic with a lot of battery life then i would say go for the acer turion (depending on your budget)

but recently i just recommended a laptop to my mate who wants it as a replacement for his desktop so battery life does'nt bother him. his budget is a £1200, and h's not bothered about the looks neither just pure performance with a 17in widescreen. so i told him to go a Mesh Laptop

http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/review_aug05_pegasus3700.htm.

personally both and my mates all prefer AMD processors and we think there ten times better then penium,

11. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    a5ian300zx, if you we're to upgrade that memory to PC3200 you could use Athlon64 tweaker to run it at the proper speeds, in the BIOS it would be downclocked to 333mHz but as soon as windows comes into play it would be overclocked to 400MHz. You'd get a nice speed boost from that.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Cheers for the replies guys,

I was actually drawn to ACER laptops before I saw a couple of you mention it - they seem to have decent keyboards which is (IMHO) very important in a laptop. I've seen a couple of mentions of the ACER Aspire 9500 range which I hope is coming to the UK soonish. An inbuilt DVB-T would actually be very useful for me.

I am also looking at Sony, Toshiba and HP laptops although I agree with several others comments that these tend to be slightly overpriced for what they are.

My only concern with the ACER range is they seem to use ATI graphics cards. I have always used nVidia in my laptops and desktops and am not really up on what are 'good' mobile ATI cards - the models I am looking at tend to have the PCI-E cards: X600, X700 or X800. How do these compare to the nVidia 'top 3': GeForce Go 6600, GeForce Go 6800 and GeForce Go 6800 Ultra?

13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I got my Acer 1691 now and it is excellent.

It did come with integrated Intel 915 graphics instead of ATI X600 but I am still happy. The processor has been upgraded to Centrino 1.6 and to DDR2 memory.

You should look at Acer's CrystalBrite widescreen screens. The picture quality is oustanding.

My first choice was Staples Acer Travelmate 4151. A relative got one and is the same spec as the 1691 except for a 15" normal screen and NVidia Geforce Go 6200 graphics. However, they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Have a look at this 1691 review. It is the same as my one but has a extra 20GB HDD and X700 graphics.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2495

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The pentium m all the way, marry a high end one with the "7800GTX Go" coming out soon and you have a super gaming machine with good battery life and also pure vision for HD output. A system like this will kock the socks off all but the higest end desktop rig, ofcourse you'll pay through the nose for it.

Your best of going for a mid range pentium m or the new athlon mobile and getting something like x700pro graphics chip. For gaming on laptops the graphics chip is probably more important than the cpu as normaly you get some crappy intel integrated thing that is slower than a gf2mx and can't play pretty much any game from the last 4 years.

15. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I don't really play games so graphics does really matter but a ATI separate one would have been nice (even just a X600).

I have been surfing and downloading for the last couple of hours and battery is still at 54%. That sounds good to me for a first time charge.

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Yes - past experience has proven this to me. FPS Laptop gaming was very poor until nVidia launched the excellent GeForce 2 Go.

I normally play games on my Desktop first (powered by a GeForce 6800 Ultra) and so would like a mobile graphics that won't be too sluggish compared to that (it doesn't need to be as fast). Laptops that are now on my shortlist sport the following GFX cards:
    - ATI X700 (PCI-E)
    - ATI X600 (PCI-E)
    - GeForce 6600 Go (Presumably AGP)
    - GeForce 6800
    ...I am likely to have any real trouble playing games such as Doom III or Half Life 2 on such cards. I am not to worried if I need to turn down the detail on some of the more power hungray games.

Apart from Dell (who I am keen to avoid as I have had too many bad experiences with them now) I am yet to see many laptops that sport the supposed top-of-the-range ATI X800 or GeForce Go 6800 Ultra - and to be honest I'm not sure I play enough games on my laptop to warrant such a chip anyway (I generally replace my laptop ever 30-36 months so long term 'power' is not a mjaor concern).

17. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    The Aspire I ordered was suppose to come with X600 graphic but it was changed just before I ordered it. I didn't notice the change in spec but the price dropped by £20.

Is there any games that will be ok with the intergrated Intel 915? It does have 128MB of RAM (I don't know how much of it is shared from the 512MB RAM).

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    From what I've seen it's First Person Shooter games that really require the high end graphics cards - but I don't how the other genres have changed in recent years. I only play First Person Shooters :) and have always paid through the nose for a high end mobile GFX that I have gone on to hardly every use :(

19. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    The latest FPS I have is Max Payne which is several years old. I bet it will look good on the crystalbrite screen.

I find all the games I do have work fine on my main PC. It is a Athlon XP 2000 with 512 DDR RAM and Geforce 4 MX440.

I don't really plan to buy anymore games as I seem to be growing out of them (eventually at 31). :D

20. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Intel insist on making there cards 3D capable but then make them in such a bad way that you can't play anygames that require one, for the life of me i can't really think of anything (that say a pure business laptop would need) that would require 3D acceleration and be happy with the rudimentry crapness.

Look at these bench marks and take into account its running on pretty much the fastest intel chip out there, which I personaly think is what carries it.

http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/ieg3-3.htm