1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by steevs, Oct 20, 2004.

1. steevs

steevs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi all

I recently bought a slimline external hdd for my laptop, unfortunately I can't get it to recognise the device, i think the reason for this is that my laptop does not have usb2, i am running xp on it though. If I bought a usb2 hub would this solve the problem? or would it mean that it wouldnt operate at usb2 speeds because its plugged in to plain old usb, im confused.

Thanks

Steve

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    if the port is usb 1.1 then you will never get usb2 speeds out of it no matter what you feed the signal through.

When you say doesnt recognise what do you mean? Does it show that there is something there (by chugging when you plug it in)? Or does it make no difference whether it is plugged in or not?

Either you have a dud device (try on a different pc to see if it works on that)
    OR you have a dud usb controller/ports (try a different device see if that works)
    OR the hardware is fine you just need to go online to windowsupdate.com and get some updated drivers to get the hard drive working.
    Chris

3. steevs

steevs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    hi, thanks for replying, the lights come on, and it starts making a noise, but nothing actually appears in my computer, sounds like it may be a software problem.

4. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    For USB 2.0 on Windows XP you need to have either Service Pack 1 or 2 installed. I recently had a problem with an external hard drive not being recognised properly (windows kept saying I had a high speed device plugged into a low speed port, i.e. USB 1.1). I couldn't find any other way of getting the USB 2.0 drivers onto XP unless I installed SP2 via the microsoft web site.

AFAIK USB 2.0 is fully backwards compatible with 1.1, so if the device isn't faulty it should still work if you don't have USB 2.0 on your laptop, but it will be very, very slow in USB 1.1 mode.