1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Problem - Help!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kelvin, Jul 14, 2003.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I need some advice...

I've had my laptop for about 9 months(ish), and not had any problems whatsoever with it... until last week :(

I use it pretty much every day, but didn't (for pretty much the first time ever!) last Wednesday. When I came to turn it on on Thursday evening, it was just totally dead - pushed the power button and nothing, zip, nada :( Naturally my first instinct was a dead battery, although I knew it proably wasn't the case as I'd charged it not long before and had hardly used it, but even plugged into the mains the only thing that happened was a brief illumination of the power light for a fraction of a second, then silence.

After trying for about half an hour to get it started, it finally booted, but not without sounding like it was dying in the process - the fan was virtually non existent for the first 10 seconds when it's normally whirring away at pretty high speed, and the screen flashed several times before showing the Bios screen. Ever since then, I've had the same problem - very slow fan speed on power up, and random "flashing" on the screen for a few seconds. It's also switched itself off at random points several times since then.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? The only thing I've done to it in the time I've had it is added some more RAM (remember?!! ;)) but it's worked faultlessly for a long period prior to this...

I'm at a loss - should I be worried?!!

Any advice will be greatfully received...

K.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dodgy power something or other?

ad