Laptop/PC with an HD Panel LCD

samhain

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

If I was to get a HD panel, provided that there is VGA in can you simply connect a lap top, play a DVD and you get a HD siggnal, or do you have to manipulate the output from the laptop to get 720p?

depends...

to get 1:1 you'll need a laptop that can output 1360x768.
Not all drivers allow this.
If the driver doesn't allow it, you can always use powerstrip to obtain that resolution.

as above provided your card and drivers support the optimum resolution for the panel.

Also when you think you have decided on te panel do a search on this forum and see what people have said about the panel in use with a pc. If you cant find anything then you can alsways ask.

The reason for this is not all panels will handle the PC input at native resolution. I know sounds stupid. I can confirm the Samsung LE26R41BD supports the pc input at this, also from reading the sharps tend to be good at this as well.

bear in mind your viewing distance for computers as on a 26 inch panel at a 3/4 meters thats a lot of little pixels.

Are there laptops available with HD DVD or BluRay readers already then? Or are we just talking about using the laptop's graphics card to upscale a 576 line SD DVD?

Hi Daxie, could you please let me know more about this powerstrip?

there are some HD sources available from the like of micrsoft et all for playing through a computer. SD sources would simply get scaled.

Is it your plasma you're trying to connect?

No not plasma, will be getting an HD panel soon and wanted to know if I could get true HI def from a PC but I gather that all sources are upscaled which presumably is a poor relation to the real thing ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom