Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

laptop pc graphics cards

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by phenom2003, Apr 11, 2003.

1. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at purchasing a laptop, and at present it seems that you cant get one with a graphics card with more than 64mb of ram. Can the graphics cards be upgraded by either the manufacturer of the laptop or the end user (me)to a good 128mb graphics card. As some laptops use desktop derived graphics cards I dont see a problem. Can anyone help me?

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Laptop's use on board gfx cards and not plug in ones the ones you can get to upgrade your desktop (AGP or PCI).

A Laptop doesn't have the slot to take a new gfx card and since I've yet to hear of any onboard 128MB gfx chips then I guess you'll have to make do with 64MB or get yourself a desktop, which is cheaper and easier to upgrade.

3. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    If its any use i have a 2.4ghz P4 laptop with 512ddr etc and a 64mb ATI radeon 9000 and it is amazing.
    As i'm sure ur aware it'll run games exactly the same as a similarly specced desktop but it is so much more convenient!
    I'm sure that 128mb cards will become available in the future, but as the previous post said, if you can live with a desktop the spec goes up and the price goes down!
    Hope this is of some use.
    Sam

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    I work away from home alot and therefore purchase a new laptop every year - as a work tool, DVD player and games machine. The latter is essential to me as I play loads of first person shooter games which are among some of the most graphically demanding games out there.

Mobile PCs used to be crap for graphically intensive games but nVidia changed this with the GeForce2Go card. This has been superseeded by GeForce4Go and will soon be replaced by the state-of-the-art, desktop equalling GeForceFX Go 5600. This will be expensive but worth every penny in my book.

Check out nVidia's GeForceFX Go page:
    http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=fx_mobile

As Monkeynuts also pointed out ATI do mobile graphics cards suitable for gaming that are, in many cases, equal to the nVidia ones (and frequently cheaper).

If you want to play graphically intensive game make sure you get a laptop with such a graphics chip - Evesham, Mesh, Toshiba and Dell (and many others) all offer them in the medium to high end laptops.