Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Laptop/PC experts help PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve.EX, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Please someone help with my pc ignorance.
    I have bought a Dell C610 and installed Win2000 Pro.
    I am unable to set integral display colour/resolution beyond 16 colours and 600*480.
    Within the pc profiles is a non-plug and play "thing" named VGA and VGA Save.
    The Video Controller is indicated by "VGA with a question mark" within the hardware profiles with it's "resource" and "driver" as unknown and no changes are possible.
    As i understand this is a generic thing for start-up etc.
    I have downloaded (via another pc as i cannot install AOL on the laptop as it wont run on less than 256 colours AAHH!) the latest ATI driver (19mb's worth) from the Dell site but cannot install this software as a field reports "cannot unzip file etc as this is a multi-disk set please install the last disk of this set etc" - what last disk??????
    Any Help would be much appreciated.

regards

Steven

2. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    You are restricted to this colour depth because a window doesn’t know your graphics adapter.
    You need the Dell win2k display driver for your laptop available on the Dell website under support
    http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home.asp
    I'm pretty sure that the Dell 610 has an ATI radion graphics chip so the standard ATI driver should work