• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Laptop Mouse Very Jumpy

Roloasis

Standard Member
I have a Toshiba laptop, the last few days the touch mouse has been very jumpy and at times I have no control over it when I try to move it, it also clicks on stuff when I'm not even clicking on anything, it is becoming impossible to use the laptop.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Is it constantly jumpy in Windows or just sometimes?
Does it progressively get worse?
Is it just with the touchpad? Have you tried plugging in a USB mouse to see how that performs?

When your laptop is starting up press F8 to boot into Safe Mode, see if your mouse performs okay in safe mode.

Could be something related to resources or possibly a virus.

Roloasis

Standard Member
Is it constantly jumpy in Windows or just sometimes?
Does it progressively get worse?
Is it just with the touchpad? Have you tried plugging in a USB mouse to see how that performs?

When your laptop is starting up press F8 to boot into Safe Mode, see if your mouse performs okay in safe mode.

Could be something related to resources or possibly a virus.

Hi,

Yes, it is constantly jumpy when using Windows.
Yes, it is the touchpad that seems to be the problem, I have not used a usb mouse as I don't have one and would rather use the touchpad.
I have tried it in safe mode and still get the same problem.

Hope that helps.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Yes, it is constantly jumpy when using Windows.
Yes, it is the touchpad that seems to be the problem, I have not used a usb mouse as I don't have one and would rather use the touchpad.
I have tried it in safe mode and still get the same problem.

Hope that helps.

If it is happening in safe mode as well then it sounds like it's hardware related and could be a problem with the actual touchpad itself, have you tried cleaning it with a damp cloth and letting it dry?
Is there any visual wearing to the touchpad?

I had an old touchpad that used to be grey but eventually became clear in the most used parts, eventually it became too unreliable to use.
If you are able to borrow a USB mouse off anyone to try that I would advise it as it can help confirm the problem with the touchpad.

It is also possible the connector inside the laptop might have come a little loose.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom