Laptop mine field help choosing

marklfc77

Standard Member
Hi just looking for some advice regarding laptops I will have around £500 to spend so will be looking for the best laptop for the money so will be looking for it to last. Basically the question I am looking to get answered is regarding the different ranges for example hp lesser range is g62 then the pavilion is the next up. For example the spec for the g62-b18sa is very similar to the hp dv6-3112sa both have the I3-350m 320gb hdd think the main diff is that the pavilion has a dedicated graphics they retail for about 100 pounds difference. What the question is would it be worth it spending extra money on getting a pavilion over the g62 would the internal parts be better. The same questions apply dell with the inspirion over the studio is it worth paying more for studio is it a better quality made machine would it last longer etc
Hope the question isn't too stupid

dc8900

Distinguished Member
do provide links when talking about models as it saves members time when they are trying to help :thumbsup:

can't talk about the HP but in my experience, the Studio series seem more put together and a tad more solid in comparison to the inspiron series

stockyvillage

Novice Member
Hi just looking for some advice regarding laptops I will have around £500 to spend so will be looking for the best laptop for the money so will be looking for it to last. Basically the question I am looking to get answered is regarding the different ranges for example hp lesser range is g62 then the pavilion is the next up. For example the spec for the g62-b18sa is very similar to the hp dv6-3112sa both have the I3-350m 320gb hdd think the main diff is that the pavilion has a dedicated graphics they retail for about 100 pounds difference. What the question is would it be worth it spending extra money on getting a pavilion over the g62 would the internal parts be better. The same questions apply dell with the inspirion over the studio is it worth paying more for studio is it a better quality made machine would it last longer etc
Hope the question isn't too stupid
Mark have a look at MSI...Argos sell them now.2 yr guarantee.No 09 numbers to phone if you have problems.You can also see full range at msi.uk site

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Also consider refurbished units - they are often 'like new'.

After a lot of reading here and on other forums I've just got http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-l505-144-refurbished-laptop-04619490-pdt.html for my wife. (Slightly cheaper with a £35 off voucher, and it might track for cashback - or not). So far very pleased with it - absolutely pristine to look at and, apart from the DVD writer not liking some old DVD-Rs I tried when burning the recovery disks, nothing adverse to report. {The fan is quite noisy when it's working hard}.

It has an i5 processor and came with a slightly better graphics card than that listed (HD5145 cf HD4570) within 2 days. {1 of the 3 usb ports is usb/esata}.

I'm typing this on a 4-yr+ old Dell Inspiron 1300 that came from Dell's Outlet store when they auctioned on ebay (Pentium M, 1G ram, 60G HDD). That did have a small mark on the lid (in Dell's description) but it was nothing compared to how scratched it is now! It has been faultless ...touching wood...

You can get a much better spec for the same cash via the refurbished route.

I decided against Dell this time due to my perception that some models can have overheating problems and the outlet specs are not complete / transparent and the pricing seemed inconsistent.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I decided against Dell this time due to my perception that some models can have overheating problems and the outlet specs are not complete / transparent and the pricing seemed inconsistent.
different prices for same specs on the outlet often depend on the condition or the fact it has upgraded features from the base spec (that not listed) ordered by the person who initially bought or ordered it

also, the outlet has a twitter feed which often posts discount codes

so for me, I recommended the outlet :thumbsup:

marklfc77

Standard Member
Cheers thanks for the responses just another quick question a lot if the laptops for around 500 come with intel hd graphics Graphics:
And they state the following details Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Graphics Memory: total available graphics memory can be up to 1275 Mb
with a 32-bit operating system and 3 Gb system memory or 1696 Mb with
a 64-bit operating system and 4 Gb system memory
What does this mean exactly I know dedicated graphics cards come with built in memory. Do the integrated cards use system ram to get it up to the 1696 mb stated. and how quickly would the they date as the system gets older would you be better going with a dedicated graphics card over an integrated at the cost of the 1gb of ram. A few systems I have seen for around the 500 Mark if they have an integrated card you get 4 gb ram or if you have a dedicated card you get 3gb.
Thanks again for all your help in helping me make the right choice. I'll also have a look at msi. Are Sony any good for reliability anymore as some if their vat back deals look good

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom