1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Memory Suppliers?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by kelvin, May 21, 2003.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sorry guys... another question for you, hopefully this one will be a little more straightforward though... ;)

I need some more RAM for my Laptop but don't have a clue where to start looking for the best price - the best I've found at the moment seems to be about £40 (including shipping) for 256MB - does anyone know of anywhere cheaper?

Spec must be: 256MB (at least), SO-DIMM RAM, 133mhz, and 144 pin (although the latter is pretty much standard I think, I have seen some 200 pin sticks floating about) :)

I don't think it will even be an issue but I'm already running 256MB of "Nanya" RAM - I'm assuming I won't get any conflicts if I add to this with a different manufacturer?

K.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try dabs and Crucial.com Crucial are great and have a compatibility gaurantee.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, go for Crucial memory and Dabs is probably cheapest. Ebuyer are also pretty good and have good stocks.

I think 200 pin is DDR innit? You probably want 144 pin.

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yeah, I do definitely want 144 pin, but some sites I looked at were listing some 256MB 133mhz SO-DIMM Ram as 200 pin! :confused:

I'll have a look at the sites suggested :) Thanks a lot...

K.

5. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    You definately want to get it from crucial, e-buyer might be slightly cheaper but people arent always over the moon with the service they offer. You can probably feed your laptop details into the crucial site and that makes sure you get the right ram and it will almost certainly land on your doorstep the next morning. Sounds like you know what your after so just do a hunt on their site. I just had a look and they come out at £44 for 256, 512 is £99 so I would stick with 256, 512 is plenty in total. How come you feel like an upgrade anyway? Really unlikely you will get a conflict but you probably dont want to fit new ram and reinstall XP a the same time just to avoid any possible problems

You getting the pc bug aswell as av?

6. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hehe... ;) Something like that yeah... :p

I don't intend to do everything at the same time - I'll get one out of the way before I start the other one just to be on the safe side!! ;)

As far as why to upgrade... I just think that it will be worth my while. I use my laptop while I'm up at Uni for pretty much everything - surfing the net, watching TV, doing work (...very occasionally at least!), watching DVD's etc. Not to mention all the software I have installed on it for day to day use (Paint Shop Pro, Digital Camera Software etc. etc.) - anything that will make the machine run quicker has to be a benefit as far as I'm concerned :)

Speaking to someone the other day they seemed to think that more memory might help with regards to the overall speed of the machine. Time taken to boot up/start programmes/getting rid of stutter when watching films etc. Looking into it, it also appears to be a relatively cheap, and easy upgrade :)

K.

7. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Go for it then ive got 1024meg just because it was cheap! Putting more ram in has to be the most painless upgrade. You should make it faster and you will be able to have lots of programmes going at the same time without the whole lot slowing to a standstill. I will say it again but you really should buy it from crucial ive never heard anything said about them and they sell good quality ram.

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just put a 256 stick in the wife's Vaio, gone from 192 to 384 and it's much faster. It used to sit and whir away for minutes and booting and shutdown were a nightmare. I reckon 512 is about ideal for XP.

I always buy Crucial, never one problem.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered 256MB of memory for my laptop from Cruical on a Sunday afternoon and it arrived Monday 8AM!!!

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I hope you remebered to use the 5% discount coupon. ;)

11. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Any chance I could get one of these from anywhere??!

K.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, used the voucher- only saved £2-3 though.

BBUKWEBPROMO check if this is still valid.

Also try GENUKBPPC266Q515