Laptop memery upgrade

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by fire boy, Oct 18, 2005.

1. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi
    I confess to not knowing a great deal about pooters but after reading through the sticky on water cooling I must be slightly above the ranking of moron :smashin:

I have a Tosh laptop about a year old from pc world and I want to upgrade the RAM from 256Mb

Is there a max size I can replace in with?

If it make a difference the model number is- PSA40E-0E4N1-EN
    and it uses a celaron prosseser 2.80Ghz and has a 64Mb graphics card

Also will this let me run some of the newer pc games like Lotr battle for middle earth?

Regards Brian

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The PSA40E-0E4N1-EN is actually a Satellite A40 according to a quick Google search which means that it requires PC2100 DDR Ram :) The A40 has 2 memory slots so you can purchase one more stick giving you the option of going for an extra 128mb, 256mv, 512mb, or 1gb.

Crucial is a good bet if you want to be sure that you purchase the correct stuff - you can enter the make and model of your laptop and get a recommendation that is guaranteed to work. The service is top notch as well :smashin:

3. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thankyou for helpful reply. :thumbsup:
    If I go too high can I damage the pc (I was thinking of adding 512Mb)

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It's pretty difficult to do any damage - at worst you'll find that the laptop won't boot but 512mb won't be a problem. Over 1gb you sometimes run into problems on older machines but given that yours is relatively new I can't imagine you'll have any trouble.

Go with the Crucial stuff and you can always return it if it doesn't function correctly :)

5. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,720
    no worries there.. just use the crucial memory selector tool already mentioned, and go for the biggest module it offers for your machine, if you can afford it.. :devil:

An extra 512 would go very well in a machine like yours.. :)

6. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it's worth - and if you're still going even to check back here...

But I had precisely the same issue on my Toshiba Satellite - which only came with 128 Mb of RAM!

These guys did for me exactly as they've done for you - and I went down the Crucial route - and it was awesomely simple, from start to finish.

Even the replacing I did myself because these guys and girls here assured me it was pretty simple - and it was!

Plus the chip itself comes with instructions from Crucial - and their website is excellent.

A RAM-upgrade will absolutely transform your system.

And while I'm at it - "Thanks all!" - your help very much appreciated. The alternative would've been to pay someone a good amount of money.

Lifesavers, you lot!