1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop internet using Mobile phone

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Just call me Al, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Anyone know where I should start? I need to connect my laptop via my mobile phone whilst on holiday. I have infra red connections.

2. dert

dert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot will depend on the mobile phone you are using and if you have infrared on both the mobile and the laptop. You will need to download the software for your phone for it to be seen on your laptop, if its a nokia you need nokia data suite, similar software is available for download for samsung and panasonic (can't help you with others as I've never used them)

More info is needed

3. DaveA

DaveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check infrared is enabled in your BIOS first.

Check your laptop can 'see' the phone.

You will need a modem driver applicable to the phone (manufacturers website hopefully).

It can be a black art to get working, and it's usually painfully slow as well!

Enjoy.

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    most modern mobiles now will automatically install an IR modem as soon as the pc and phone connect via IR. then just change the modem that your laptoip browser uses to connect to the web. Will be very slow though

5. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks for the reply's. I have a Nokia with infra red & a Sony Erickson also with infra red. Not sure of models though. The Nokia is 18 months old but & small with B/W screen. The Sony is colour screen & a camera can be added & is about 12 months old.
    I can get the laptop & phone to talk but how to surf the net?

6. dert

dert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What models are the phones you have?

Nokia has the model number usually on a white lable under the battery, I think the sony has the model number shown in a similar place. The Nokia maybe your best bet to use as a modem because Nokia data suite will load all the relevant drivers during install...as long as your model phone can be used as a modem.

Basically, if you are going to try to get on the net by using the phone as a modem you will need a dial up number for an ISP (internet service provider) and then before dialing into the number you need to ensure the modem you intend to use is the mobile and not any inbuilt modem which maybe in the laptop.

If you use broadband and not a dial up account you can set up a dial up account by going to "tools --> internet options --> connections --> add"

Use a free dial up (0845) number like UK2 details at http://adial.co.uk/ Use the info there to add the new account details.

Once you have the dial up details and laptop recognising your phone as the modem its just a matter of opening internet explorer and then connecting........as a few others have posted, it will be slow....very slow, but at the same time you will be able to connect.

7. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I don't understand why nearly every reply says it will be slow.

Sure it won't be at broadband speeds but it could be a reasonable speed, enough for checking e-mail and a bit of surfing. All depending on the capabilities of your phone and how you set it up.

CSD will be 9K6bps (admittedly slow).
    HSCSD will be 28.8Kbps (but only on Orange contract with a suitable phone).
    GPRS will be around 40Kbps.

3G would be in the broadband area, speed wise. But you would need a 3G data card as most phones max out at 115Kbps via IR.

Personally having used the first two for years, I now use GPRS (or Wi-Fi) when ever possible when away from home.