Laptop HTPC for panny??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Mar 7, 2002.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is anyone using a Laptop for a HTPC? Surely they're fast and high spec enough these days. Even the graphics cards in them are much improved nowadays. Also, do they make laptop versions of tuner or capture cards 'cause if a laptop can do a decent job then I might opt for one instead of another desktop.
    I can make a better case for a laptop with the powers that be. "Use it anywhere in the house love, surf while sunbathing love, use it all the......oops......use it sometimes in the HT room":D It would also be whisper quiet.

So go on, tell me why its not feasible. It musn't be or else everyone would be using them. Maybe its because you couldn't play newer games at full detail on the big screen, 'cause if thats the all then no problem. The desktop can be brought in for 'Special Occasions'!!:D

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I guess there's nothing to prevent you using a laptop as a HCPC. I tried with my Compaq Armada M700 & pq was ok, but....

1. You'll need to make sure you get a graphics card that'll allows custom resolutions & timings (my ATi Rage Pro doesn't).

2. I can see the sound side of things as a problem. I think most laptops will use onboard sound....not good...and could be tricky to find one with a digital coax or optical out.

3. Conjecture, but I wouldn't be surprised if the RF/EMI problem is enhanced in a laptop (components are all crammed together in close proximity).

4. Upgradeability. Or rather lack of. May or may not bother you.

There's no denying the convenience that a laptop would have as a HCPC though. If one could get the right graphics & sound hardware, then it'd be a runner I reckon.

3. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    haven't got my PJ yet.. , but I did buy a laptop recently and specced it just in case I had to to use it instead of my DVD player.

FYI, all of the new P4 laptops have 16MB DDR ATI Radeon graphics card, DVD drive, and optical out. pretty sure you can custom resolutions with it also.

4. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Wow, that sounds like a sweet spec what with the convenience of a laptop thrown in too. Who's gonna volunteer to try one out? :D

5. dragonbud0

dragonbud0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ran a sony vaio 505 w/ power dvd xp 4.0, wan ATI card w/ only 4 meg ram; it's adequate for movies like Bridget Jones' Diary - very natural color. however, it crapped out on Moulin Rouge chapert 5, Can-Can. btw, my wife finally approved my $1,500 US purchase. she loves the vibrant color. I did get the Hoya HMC FLD 55 mm filter (w/ masking tape to old it). screen door was still there, but did not bother me. I sat about 1.7x away. my Sony 500 dvd w/ component o/p cannot match the vga o/p. this was all done w/ a white wall! can wait for the screen for a little longer. my sony vaio's fan was louder than the panny on eco mode. I put on only 20 hours so far.

comparing to my Dell dimension 4100 desktop w/ Nvidia 32 Gforce, also on xp, the extra 28 meg of ram won out handily. also, I found the WinDVD 3.0 is no match for the Power DVD.