1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop/htpc at a good price - perfect as source for Panasonic AE100 or similar

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MartinCo, Aug 11, 2002.

1. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've already posted on the HTPC forum a detailed post on my usage of a decent spec laptop as a HTPC/ pj source.

see here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=278293

a version of this laptop is now available at novatech at a very good price... approx £997 inc vat. a pretty good deal I think.

it also has svideo out so will work to a TV if you needed to do that for the time being.
    you would still have the future proofing of a progressive scan DVD player or equivalent... (480p, 720p and other variants).

Its a great source for an AE100 (and others)... you get the performance of a HTPC without the size or noise.

this is in the original thread but note that the fan does not run when the internal screen is off (ie. going to the projector). Also you can actually close the screen completely so very small and discrete - so you can still have the laptop powered up and happily playing DVDs.

see here http://www1.novatech.co.uk/NOVATECH...tml?c=NNB-019CH

spec is listed as
    Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz Processor
    - 14.1" XGA TFT Display
    - 256Mb RAM (Supports up to 1024Mb)
    - 30Gb Hard Drive
    - CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
    - 56K Modem
    - Includes Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

The P4 2.0GHz Notebook Also features
    - ATI 16Mb Integrated Graphics
    - SoundBlaster Pro Compatible Audio
    - 2 x USB Ports
    - 56K/V.90 Built-in Modem
    - 1 Parallel & 1 VGA Port, 1 IrDA, 1 Mic, 1 Audio-Out, S-Video Out Port, IEEE 1394a Firewire Port
    - Built-in 10/100 based-T LAN
    - Glidepad with 2 buttons & 1 scroll button
    - AC Power Adapter
    - Weight - 2.95Kg

SPDIF out (not listed but works fine for me with a mini-toslink).