Laptop - Hinge crack repair or new plastic needed?! Anyone help?

southeastblue

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people,

I've just purchased a second hand 2yr old Acer Aspire 1690 laptop, and although at £180 I thought it was quite a bargain, I found a 1cm hairline crack near the hinge. Since I'm quite partial to all my items being in tip top shape I just wondered whether there was anything to try and repair this crack or if there was anywhere to purchase new plastics for my system?

I've tried searching ebay and google but to no avail.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Hi people,

I've just purchased a second hand 2yr old Acer Aspire 1690 laptop, and although at £180 I thought it was quite a bargain, I found a 1cm hairline crack near the hinge. Since I'm quite partial to all my items being in tip top shape I just wondered whether there was anything to try and repair this crack or if there was anywhere to purchase new plastics for my system?

I've tried searching ebay and google but to no avail.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

it is a known fault i had to send my acer back to acer for repair you could give them a call see what they have to say

I would repair it yourself, use some plastic medium/thick modellers glue (high strength) glue, it'll melt and bond the plastic together. Tape off the area and just fill the crack slightly.

Screen casing is usually a 10 minute job to replace on most laptops although I've personally never done one of those models. Most are removed by just removing a few screw caps around the screen casing and popping half a dozen screws out. Once loose be careful when removing as it may have a wireless aerial wire and screen catch assembly attached.

That's assuming you can get hold of the replacement plastics!

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a look on ebay, and a little look on google but can't find any replacement lids/plastics.

Think my only option is to use some kind of glue like suggested. I've not dealt with modellers glue before how much is it? Will it look neat afterwards? Obviously I don't want smeary glue marks on it.

Also would it be best to dismantle it before I use the glue?!

I'm quite confident opening it up, as I've had my old HP XE4500 open numerous times to fix it.

Anyway Thanks again. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom