Laptop Help

Schumi 01

Morning all, really hope you could help me out, a friend of mine her son is after a laptop for Uni which will run SOLIDWORKS. Honestly I have no idea about laptops, so any advice is really welcome.
Budget wise around £750.

Many thanks for you time.

Apologies for not answering the questions, as I don't know.

Last edited:

the groundsman

I think that budget won't get you a new machine that meets the minimum spec for this software unfortunately.

It looks like it needs 16GB of Ram and a fast processor 3.3GHz or faster is likely to set you back £1200-1500 would be my guess.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I think that budget won't get you a new machine that meets the minimum spec for this software unfortunately.

It looks like it needs 16GB of Ram and a fast processor 3.3GHz or faster is likely to set you back £1200-1500 would be my guess.
Processor speed is is not very meaningful these days so they're likely referring to older models back when it was a big factor

Carbon 60

Hi @Schumi 01,

Can you ask your friend to ask her son which version of Solidworks he is using please? Do the Uni or the course tutor recommend any laptops that they think will be suitable for students?

Solidworks 2019, 2020 & 2021 system requirements: https://www.solidworks.com/support/system-requirements. This confirms what 'the groundsman' posted so applies to the latest laptops not older ones. Additionally he'll need a high-end dedicated graphics card either Nvidia Quadro or Radeon Pro.

Last edited:

Schumi 01

Many thanks for the advice, will definitely ask him what version of SOLIDWORKS they are using, decided to look for a decided to look for a dedicated workstation, think that would benefit him more.

Schumi 01

Hi @Schumi 01,

Can you ask your friend to ask her son which version of Solidworks he is using please? Do the Uni or the course tutor recommend any laptops that they think will be suitable for students?

Solidworks 2019, 2020 & 2021 system requirements: https://www.solidworks.com/support/system-requirements. This confirms what 'the groundsman' posted so applies to the latest laptops not older ones. Additionally he'll need a high-end dedicated graphics card either Nvidia Quadro or Radeon Pro.

Hi @Carbon 60 sorry for the late reply, actually just found out that he will be using the laptop as a Virtual machine ? I understand, that he will be using the Uni's servers to access Solidworks, so i presume, he doesn't need a over the top Laptop now, any suggestions for the price range of £500-£600.

Many thanks

Carbon 60

Hi,

I had to do quite a bit of research to find out laptops recommended for running Solidworks in a VM on a server and it would be extremely useful to know which version of Solidworks he will be using, what he's using it for and what level he's at.

Solidworks laptops in a VM are dependent on the version, the application and the level it's being used at. The type of VM environment the uni is hosting may also indicate what spec of student laptop is necessary.

As an entry-level student he may only need a basic dual-core Intel Core i3 9th/10th generation CPU with 8GB RAM and an entry-level dedicated graphics card, but if he's opening multiple windows and/or a power user then he may need a quad or hexa-core CPU with 16GB RAM and a mid-level graphics card.

A laptop with the latest Wi-Fi standard network card (adapter) would be a good idea regardless of other spec, this being 802.11ax also known as Wi-Fi 6. The previous standard 802.11ac is still very common on even new laptops, so care needs to be taken when checking the specs.

Got to admit I'm really surprised the uni haven't got any online guidance notes for (new) students or recommendations on which laptops to buy, and whether at some stage he will need Solidworks (or any other hi-spec software) installed on his own laptop. Has he checked this out fully? Can you/your friend check with the uni independently?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom