Laptop help.

jonna

Distinguished Member
I realise its the wrong forum but it's more active here. So I hope it's ok to post here.
I was wondering if any of these 2 laptops were up to the task of video editing HP Omen 15-ax202na, Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ Processor, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard Drive + 128Gb SSD, 15.6 inch Full HD Gaming Laptop with 2Gb Nvidia GTX 1050 Graphics - Shadow Mesh | very.co.uk and HP Omen 15-ax200na, Intel® Core™ i7, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD Storage, 2Gb Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics, 15.6 inch Full HD PC Gaming Laptop - Shadow Mesh | very.co.uk. They have a further 20% discount on the price shown so they seem a good buy..
I have 3 old camcorders, a Hi8, a mini DV and an AVCHD. I have a dvd video combination recorder so transferring tapes to dvd isn't an issue (apart from dirty tape heads on the Hi8 camcorder which I'm trying to sort out). I just need a good spec Laptop that is up to the task without spending a £1000+.

Terfyn

Personally I would never use a laptop for video editing - far too limiting. Which one fits the requirements will depend on your choice of editing software.
I use Corel's VideoStudio. If you go to the videoStudio web site you will find a specification list of minimum requirements to run VS. If your chosen laptop is better than this then you are OK.
One reason to go for a tower PC is I can fit a FireWire card so I could download directly from my Canon HV20 without an intermediate step of DVD. The second reason is that my Dealer built my PC to be better than the Corel minimum spec. The third reason is that I run TWO screens from my PC, one for the editing and the other shows a full size picture of the action, so much easier to see than everything being pushed into one small laptop screen.

12harry

Distinguished Member
FWIW both specs look OK - you always need "More" - particularly in the CPU an RAM - if the OS is 64-bit which it should be for that level of Memory, that's fine.
The internal HDD should only be used for "Current Projects" - So you need to budget for a portable HDD if your reason for "laptop" is portability ( travel away, etc.).... and possibly a larger one to keep at-home somewhere safe for original files and rendered Movies - up to 4Tb are competitively priced - with a USB3 case and PSU. ( So ideally yr new Laptop will have at least one USB3 port as well as a card-reader for SDXC and below - so you're future-proofed . . . as 4K takes Ooodels of space.
Agree with Terfyn : a Desktop PC is better-value and the expansion . . . you can get Firewire cards cheaply but OP stated he used a DVD recorder . . . Whilst this resolves many "COPY" issues the quality from DVD is not up to HD - probably NOT important from older Camcorders.

So, IMHO if you must have a Laptop and these are good quality ( Check with some HD media from a friend, perhaps) . . . then the only ( big? ) issue will be their battery-life - A practical issue when travelling . . . as it's nice to see your Day's Shoot on a larger screen while you down-load to an external HDD for back-up, etc.
Editors:
Beware that many Video-Editors will show low-specs as "Suitable" - to encourage sales! .
Whereas you probably need at least 2x that for HD and 8x that for 4K.
++Good News is, most will allow a 30-day "Trial" - don't expect to find it easy-going . . . it will TEST the Hardware . . . better to find this prior to purchase .
Use whatever Video-Software your friends use . . . so they can help you, should you want to do something that needs a bit of "know-how".

My only worry is why they need to offer a further discount to a "Good Deal" - but maybe when you've snapped-up; You'll let us in on your Supplier....?
++Rather than have extra-discount, I'd ask if there are any Models with "Extended Warranty" - beware this is ONLY as good as their Word!

Good Luck.

Terfyn

Beware that many Video-Editors will show low-specs as "Suitable" - to encourage sales! .
Whereas you probably need at least 2x that for HD and 8x that for 4K.
Sure. Nothing encourages sales like a PC that will not run the software purchased.:facepalm: It is obvious that a minimum spec is to ensure that the software will run when purchased - if not then the company will soon loose sales. See the Forum

Use whatever Video-Software your friends use . . . so they can help you, should you want to do something that needs a bit of "know-how".
Do we not count as friends?

12harry

Distinguished Member
Oh dear Terfyn I fear you are being picky . . . . of course the software will run . . . but for users to think this is OK is wrong . . . that's all!
+ OP's spec looks like it should exceed the limitations of 32bit OS, so I mentioned this only as a Warning . . . . Folks really need to have something "extra" than the "Min-Spec" - Surely you can agree on that?
& I don't understand "the software Co will lose sales" - if the software is on the Minimum Spec it will run . . . and the User has already bought it. -or- do you mean Trial-Times, perhaps? IMHO most Video-Editors will have about the same spec. where they differ is in the Interface . . . Indeed I wonder that any software-developers ever start with a clean-sheet - most just build "more"
- you may recall the pointless foray into having a different "Easy-Mode" that Sony pushed to grab sales - rather than making the existing layout clearer ( to be fair they were pushing Win8 for Pad-users which needed a complete revision, based on User-feedback )....we know now that Win8 was a disaster, hence the Win10 push later. Sony ( now Magix) Movie Studio v12 does work on 2Gb RAM; but that would make it rather difficult to use the PC for another task when any process was going - fortunately I had already bought 4Gb - but regret not having a MBO that would take 8Gb, or more ( now for 64bit OS).

Forum
-"We" may be good/honest/helpful, but if you are stuck with an Edit, a phone-call to a friend with the same Software is very handy - esp if they can come round with some Beers and sort it out. . . . . Can your Internet connection do that I wonder, Wryly?

. . . . Best of cheers . . .

Last edited:

jonna

Distinguished Member
Thanks both for the informative replies. I don't want a desktop as I have no where specifically to permanently site it. I have no issues with transferring video footage from any of my old camcorders, I just want a laptop that had enough power for video editing.
I have chosen this one at a bargain £680 Omen by HP 15-ax200na Laptop (15.6 inch, Full HD, Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, 2 GB GDDR5 Dedicated, Windows 10) - Dark Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories.

Just to add I use Sony Vegas Pro 13.

Terfyn

-"We" may be good/honest/helpful, but if you are stuck with an Edit, a phone-call to a friend with the same Software is very handy - esp if they can come round with some Beers and sort it out. . . . . Can your Internet connection do that I wonder, Wryly?
You will note I live in North Wales and we are a bit short of video editing mates around here. No doubt London is stuffed with your video editing comrades.
I just have the mountains, the sea and coast, an excessive number of little trains and many other entertainments so, Yes, my Internet connection does bring me the help and support I need.
Would I change here for London - NO.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom