Laptop HDMI Help needed.

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by natway77, Feb 5, 2009.

1. natway77

natway77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Open to ideas. When we plug our HDMI cable into the laptop and to the Tv (whist turned off) then switch it on,all that happens is the screen goes blue and the laptop shuts down by itself.

If anyone know or has had this problem then were open to ideas..

Thankyou

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. jazzert100

jazzert100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, your post is a wee bit thin on detail,what make and model is the laptop and what's the graphics card?
    You may need to configure the HDMI settings on your graphics card.

3. natway77

natway77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sorry,

Its a HP Pavillion DV9000 Laptop and the graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce8400m GS.

4. natway77

natway77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried to configure the graphics card settings and the "change settings" box is greyed out and wont let me in.

5. koppit

koppit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't know if anyone still needs help with this but I've just recently overcome this problem after lengthy discussions with Dell support. I have a Dell Studio 15 laptop with HDMI output and a Panny 32LZD85 LCD TV, but I'm sure the instructions below will apply to all laptop to TV connections via HDMI. Basically, I had lots of issues with picture on the TV and no sound, and then vice versa on the laptop. The thing to realise is that you have to make it easy for the laptop to recognise the TV. Follow the steps below:
    1) Make sure the default settings on "Sound" are for the laptop speakers.
    2) Turn on the TV and make sure that it is showing the HDMI channel that you are going to connect to (not your TV channels, for example HDMI 3).
    3) Only AFTER this, connect the laptop to the TV via HDMI.
    4) Sound and picture should transfer to TV
    5) Once finished, unplug the HDMI cable from the laptop BEFORE shutting down the laptop.
    6) Sound and picture should return to the laptop.
    7) If you forget and shut down the laptop with the TV plugged in and then restart, that is where a lot of the picture and sound conflict issues occur. You can overcome this by going through steps 1 to 3 above with the HDMI cable unplugged from the laptop.

Give it a go. This works every time for me now!:thumbsup:

6. kick2299

kick2299
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is a good idea but i have the same proplem and i would have to say its a hardware problem

when the hdmi cable goes in it acts like as if i took out the battery, eaven when i have it pluged in to the wall via the chargeing cable. what ive gathered from other people who have had the same problem indicates the hardware specification has no effect on the problem and the problem occurs when the curcuit (or there is something pluged in to bolth sides of the cable).

SIDE NOTE. i experienced this problem with a converter that splits the hdmi out in to its components in RCA

one person mentioned that it might be a security mechanism
    im wondering if any one has ever experienced this problem on a desk top/ on a third party graphics card (aka not the built in graphics card that came with the pc)