Laptop HDMI directly to Samsung HW-E450 sound bar?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Felonious Monk, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Felonious Monk

Felonious Monk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will it damage my laptops graphics adapter if I connect it directly to my Samsung HW-E450 sound bar via HDMI cable? It shows up in the AMD Vision Control Panel as a Samsung TV and flickers the screen a couple of times when first plugged in. Sound sounds great though.

Thanks a lot!...

HP Envy dv6-7245us

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,501
    Ensure the Laptop HDMI Out is set to a resolution/refresh rate the Soundbar is compatible with – start off at 720p60 or 1080i60 if you can.

Ideally you want to be connecting/disconnecting HDMI with the kit powered Off at the wall – Hotplugging (connecting/disconnecting when powered up) can cause devices to not communicate properly and potentially can cause damage to sockets depending on how your kit is earthed.

Joe

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,509
    No, it's digital.

Analogue signals often have brightness/volume represented as how much power was sent down the cable. HDMI and other digital signals work at a constant power and just send numbers that are re-created into an analogue signal by the device itself. It's much easier to reject a bit of data during processing than it is to deal with excess power. Apart from directly electrical interference (plugging/unplugging unexpectedly) you can generally expect digital inputs to sensibly handle any data you give to them. It it's not compatible with the device they'll not create an output from it.