1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop HDD connector

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by philthyanimal, Sep 23, 2005.

1. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if anyone can help. Picked up an old laptop(perfect for music apps though) With no hard drive. Bought a hard drive but it seems it needs a connector. The drive wont just slide horizontal in with its pins. Its as if it needs a little connector on the pins and then it drops down vertical into the laptop. Anyone actually know what i need or if you have one, fancy selling it.

2. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Make n model of the laptop? Can't help much without this info i'm afraid.

3. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont have the details to hand as i'm at work. All i can remember about the part is its the width of the hdd pins, black and is about 5mm thick, fits to the hdd pins so it can be placed into the laptop

4. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    A lot of hard drives in laptops fit into a craddle of some sort so that they can slide in and out of system easy.

Sadly its not really very easy (if at all possible) to help without knowing the make and model of the laptop.

5. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks anyway. I'll get the model and make and post monday if i haven't sorted it.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Sorry to hijack but....

Have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M 3438G which currently has a single SATA drive in it, a RAID controller (which obviously isnt being used), a indent for a second HD and a pants instruction manual.

According to the manual you open the access port, screw in the new hd, close the access port. Now I know HD technology has changed from my day but I am sure the HD needs to be wired in (yes I know it does) but I dont know how this should be done as looking in the access port there is no cables there (the first HD is accessed from another access port).

How does the hd get wired in? does this get daisy chained to the original HD & power supply like the old primary/ secondary IDE drives or will there be a second socket on the mobo which I will need to try and get access to?

Many thanks