Laptop HD in desktop ?

Jim_b0b

Established Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of building a HTPC with a laptop hard disc, will it fit straight in or are the laptop drive physically not as wide and therefore require some kind of adapter ?

Thanks.

you will need to get an adaptor to physically get them to fit.

Regarding the electrical connections, if you are using s-ata then they appear to use the same connectors (much to my surprise).
If you're using IDE then you'll need an IDE adaptor (3.5" to 2.5").

HTH

Why are you using a 2.5" drive? They are usually too small (Gig wise) and too slow.

Why are you using a 2.5" drive? They are usually too small (Gig wise) and too slow.

They are, but once it's booted up, and applications loaded they're ok. Low power/low heat/low noise. I'm using a 2.5" IDE 60GB for my desktop HTPC OS drive, with two Samsung 500GB for stoarge.

I believe for SATA laptop drives the power and data cable is the same as 3.5" drives, but with IDE you need a 3.5" to 2.5" adaptor with a molex connector.

I have 2 in my HTPC (was just going to use the Scorpio, but got the other drive fairly cheap) and they're superb.

Not slow, and plenty of room for everything I need - although I do have a central media server in the house.

D.

a) low power
b) low noise
c) lower heat
d) only going to have OS + couple of apps on it, so no need for big GB

I suppose the answer was staring me in the eyes, laptop - 2.5", desktop - 3.5" lol

So anyone know where I can get some sort of adaptor to fit a 2.5" drive into a 3.5" slot, I cant see nothing on scan on an initial look.

So anyone know where I can get some sort of adaptor to fit a 2.5" drive into a 3.5" slot, I cant see nothing on scan on an initial look.

just had a quick look at Maplins here at a tenner, its slightly pricy

better perhaps is misco here for under 7GBP

HTH

If you're not moving the PC around, I'd just place something soft and lay it on the case floor. I'm using the silicon washers included with the P182 .

htpc2.jpg

You need one of these (for IDE 2.5" drives)

Laptop_IDE_IDEK_connect.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom