Laptop has no Internet, DNS address not found

stevo13

Standard Member
Hi All, Started experiencing an issue on my windows 10 laptop where it won't load the Internet any more. It just stopped working a few days ago, I haven't changed my Internet or any settings on the laptop. All other devices in the house continue to work normally.

When I load a web page, it initially comes up with a 'DNS address could not be found... Diagnosing the problem' and then after a few secs switches to a 'no Internet screen'.

I did the Windows network diagnostics and it suggested it may be to do with the WiFi being detected as public, I've since changed this to private (it's my home wifi) and still get the same errors. Now when I run diagnostics it suggests an unstable WiFi connection and to restart the router (also tried this to no avail).

It does this on all websites, all web browers and I've tried multiple WiFi connections. I've even tried turning the firewall off entirely to see if that was blocking it somehow but that made no difference.

Any advise on what else I can check would be appreciated. Thanks.

jimscreechy

It sounds like your not connected to any network at all, or connected to a network that has no internet access. What does the network icon look like (pictures help) what does it say when you hover over it?

Jamdowner

Novice Member
Sorry to intrude, but this is the same problem that I am trying to fix on a Sony Vista home premium, namely, the laptop appears to be linking to the provider's server, but not to Google Chrome or Firefox, and I am stuck, after windows tried a fix. see attachment

Attachments

• VISTA1.jpg
    VISTA1.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 11

Jamdowner

Novice Member
Sorry to intrude, but this is the same problem that I am trying to fix on a Sony Vista home premium, namely, the laptop appears to be linking to the provider's server, but not to Google Chrome or Firefox, and I am stuck, after windows tried a fix. see attachment

PS I have just seen a post Jamdowner above this one, which I do not understand

this one which I did not post. whats going on?

Jamdowner

Novice Member​

Is it just the web that's misbehaving or do other uses of the internet not work as well?
Is it just the web that's misbehaving or do other uses of the internet not work as well?

jimscreechy

Perhaps you should start a new thread since your issue and the Original Posters may be different. Plus you can begin by clearly outlining your issue.

Jamdowner

Novice Member
Perhaps you should start a new thread since your issue and the Original Posters may be different. Plus you can begin by clearly outlining your issue.
Thanks jimscreechy. I was trying to do just that before I found this thread, it probably is embarrassingly blindly obvious, I was looking all over to find "start a thread" and knocking myself out without, I have switch off adblock in chrome, if that then then unmask it.

jimscreechy

If you got back to the forum sub section in this case "/Forums/Tech & Gadgets/Computer Forums" you will notice that on the right side of the heading bar there is the purple "Post Thread" option, see below

1636392791383.png

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom