Laptop Freezing Every Time

Jerry786

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've got a bit of a problem with my laptop, an Advent QT5500, Yes i know its not the best of makes and what not but its lasted me a good 4-5 years and has served me well up until now

It started freezing up on me a few weeks ago and as days have gone by, its gotten worse. So bad that as soon as i boot it up, within 10 minutes it freezes. It doesn't matter if i'm using it or not, it just crashes.

Now when i shut it down pressing the power button for a good few seconds and try to boot it back up, the fan keeps and spinning, its loud and the screen is blank. This happens nearly all the time now, I have to leave it switched off for about 10 minutes until i can boot it back up again

It cant be an overheating issue as i took it apart the other day and reapplied thermal compound onto the CPU, Ive checked the fan and its working fine so all i can gather is its a bad RAM

Ive done all the basics, disk check, ran spyware, antivirus scans, Tried to run Memtest but i cant because it freezes before i can run it. Booted it into safe mode and it even crashes in that mode

I'm looking for a new machine, a netbook but it would be good if i could bring this one back to life first

Any ideas as to what could be the cause of the freezing? What are the symptoms of a bad RAM?

Thanks guys

As above, it could be graphics, I had a similar thing with an old Acer laptop where the graphics chip was overheating, sadly it was too late to sort it and it ended up frying itself :thumbsdow

If the laptop has 2 sticks of RAM you could try it with just a single stick in see how it goes then try the other...

(I've moved this over to the laptop boards too)

Did you see a lot of dust inside? It could be the graphics chipset overheating.

Hi, The fan needed cleaning, and that's about it. Gave it a good clean and popped it back in. If it is the graphic chipset which is overheating, Is it worth repairing?

As above, it could be graphics, I had a similar thing with an old Acer laptop where the graphics chip was overheating, sadly it was too late to sort it and it ended up frying itself :thumbsdow

If the laptop has 2 sticks of RAM you could try it with just a single stick in see how it goes then try the other...

(I've moved this over to the laptop boards too)

Unlucky. Ive tried it with 1 ram and same problem occurs :confused: I havent touched laptop for weeks now as im waiting for the RAM i purchased, I hope i havent wasted my money... Might take it into shop for them to look at it if it does the same thing

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom