• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Laptop Freezing Every Time

Jerry786

Banned
Hi all. I've got a bit of a problem with my laptop, an Advent QT5500, Yes i know its not the best of makes and what not but its lasted me a good 4-5 years and has served me well up until now

It started freezing up on me a few weeks ago and as days have gone by, its gotten worse. So bad that as soon as i boot it up, within 10 minutes it freezes. It doesn't matter if i'm using it or not, it just crashes.

Now when i shut it down pressing the power button for a good few seconds and try to boot it back up, the fan keeps and spinning, its loud and the screen is blank. This happens nearly all the time now, I have to leave it switched off for about 10 minutes until i can boot it back up again

It cant be an overheating issue as i took it apart the other day and reapplied thermal compound onto the CPU, Ive checked the fan and its working fine so all i can gather is its a bad RAM

Ive done all the basics, disk check, ran spyware, antivirus scans, Tried to run Memtest but i cant because it freezes before i can run it. Booted it into safe mode and it even crashes in that mode

I'm looking for a new machine, a netbook but it would be good if i could bring this one back to life first

Any ideas as to what could be the cause of the freezing? What are the symptoms of a bad RAM?

Thanks guys

Iccz

Distinguished Member
As above, it could be graphics, I had a similar thing with an old Acer laptop where the graphics chip was overheating, sadly it was too late to sort it and it ended up frying itself :thumbsdow

If the laptop has 2 sticks of RAM you could try it with just a single stick in see how it goes then try the other...

(I've moved this over to the laptop boards too)

Jerry786

Banned
Did you see a lot of dust inside? It could be the graphics chipset overheating.

Hi, The fan needed cleaning, and that's about it. Gave it a good clean and popped it back in. If it is the graphic chipset which is overheating, Is it worth repairing?

Jerry786

Banned
As above, it could be graphics, I had a similar thing with an old Acer laptop where the graphics chip was overheating, sadly it was too late to sort it and it ended up frying itself :thumbsdow

If the laptop has 2 sticks of RAM you could try it with just a single stick in see how it goes then try the other...

(I've moved this over to the laptop boards too)

Unlucky. Ive tried it with 1 ram and same problem occurs :confused: I havent touched laptop for weeks now as im waiting for the RAM i purchased, I hope i havent wasted my money... Might take it into shop for them to look at it if it does the same thing

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom