• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

laptop fpr £450?

yipp

Standard Member
Hi

I am looking to buy a laptop for £450, though I can get 10% off at Comet so if from there can pay a bit more.

I want 15.6" widescreen with a good resolution though it does not have to be 1080. I prefer the glossy screen, but matte would be okay as well.

the laptop will mainly be used for browsing, spreadsheet and word processing and watching movies, no gaming.

Battery life unimportant, portability not an issue. But it needs to be well made to stand up to possible torture by two toddlers (you should see the state of my netbook!).

It will just stay at home, no blu ray required but want hdmi out.

I would prefer a decent brand, not sure about acer and asus.

no refurbished thanks. A decent webcam as we do a lot of skyping to family, Windows 7 (guess they all are now), and as big a hdd as can get for photos etc.

Any help much appreciated.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I would prefer a decent brand, not sure about acer and asus.

lol, these companies have been around for a while and most desktop owners that some of the best quality mobo's are from ASUS, also in reliablity standings they alongside Toshiba came out on top plus they offer usually on their laptops 2 year global warranties

yipp

Standard Member
Thank you for you advice, they both look like good machines especially the Dell. My only worry is that both Dell and Acer have a lot of unhappy customers writing bad things about them on the internet. Maybe it is just a matter of numbers - sell more products then there is bound to be a small percentage not happy. interesting to hear that about Asus though, they have some good priced products, I may include them in my search. But unless persuaded otherwise I am not keen on Dell and Acer due to bad publicity I have read.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Thank you for you advice, they both look like good machines especially the Dell. My only worry is that both Dell and Acer have a lot of unhappy customers writing bad things about them on the internet. Maybe it is just a matter of numbers - sell more products then there is bound to be a small percentage not happy. interesting to hear that about Asus though, they have some good priced products, I may include them in my search. But unless persuaded otherwise I am not keen on Dell and Acer due to bad publicity I have read.

Plenty of happy Dell owners on this forum.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom