Question Laptop for video editing

Flash80

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a laptop for doing mainly video editing before uploading them to YouTube. I would be working with at least 720p videos but most would be 1080p.

Now budget would probably be around £250-£500 max. However I realise that is not a lot of money for a decent laptop but I am more than happy to pick one up second hand from say eBay or somewhere. I don't need any software as I have a copy of win7 pro.

Can some advise as to what I should be looking at ie processor wise. I am more than happy to pick up some extra memory for it so a laptop lacking in memory is not important.

Can anyone help????

Thanks

The highest power processors generally available are the Intel ones ending HQ or MQ. Clevo & Asus did make a few machines that used desktop processors but they're likely to be rare second hand.

Generally higher the number the better, although old Windows 7 is likely to have some issues with the newer ones like the 6000 and 7000 series.

Depending on the editing software you choose, you may want something with a discrete graphics card, as some software will render using the GPU.

Failing that, plenty of ram and a 7200rpm drive are worth looking for.

TBH £250 - £300 is not really enough. You might have better luck with a desktop for that money.

Failing that, this:Latitude E6420 Laptop might work with a few upgrades.

What about buying something at the top end of my budget - £500 what do you think I could get for that price?

Add the bigger, faster drive (Ideally SSD) and more ram and you won't be far off £500. This will give you a good, stable laptop with enough grunt for close to real time rendering of simple edits.

What software are you thinking of?

What about buying something at the top end of my budget - £500 what do you think I could get for that price?

I'm not sure on second hand prices, but you might find some nearly new machines (returns/repairs) with a 6300HQ for that price.

Add the bigger, faster drive (Ideally SSD) and more ram and you won't be far off £500. This will give you a good, stable laptop with enough grunt for close to real time rendering of simple edits.

What software are you thinking of?

Well that's another whole question altogether. Not sure what software, I have heard good things about premiere pro but cost is also a factor so anything that has good features at the right price. So again I'm open to suggestions

Premiere Pro CC is a subscription based at between £16 & £25 per month, so not cheap!!

If you can get hold of a licence for CS5.5 or 6, that will give you all you need for quite a lot less outlay. It supports full HD editing and is stable and relatively easy to learn.

Other packages include automated upload to youtube, with settings to get the optimum quality without messing around and tweaking. The work flow is not always quite so "pro", but this doesn't stop you getting good results.

Premiere Pro CC is a subscription based at between £16 & £25 per month, so not cheap!!

If you can get hold of a licence for CS5.5 or 6, that will give you all you need for quite a lot less outlay. It supports full HD editing and is stable and relatively easy to learn.

Other packages include automated upload to youtube, with settings to get the optimum quality without messing around and tweaking. The work flow is not always quite so "pro", but this doesn't stop you getting good results.

Many thanks. The CS5.5 or 6 option sounds what I am looking for.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom