Laptop for the inlaws

boam

Hi.

The in laws need a new laptop. They don't need anything too fancy possible just browsing and emails and word and stuff.
I have seen this one which seems a decent price but any thoughts whether it is too under powered. Main issue with the one they have at moment is takes ages too boot up and navigate around now.

boam

Have also seen this one as well. So wondering which one is more future proof

sep8001

Hi

Both will be fine just for browsing and basic office task. When buying don’t forget to factor in the cost of MS Office.

What spec is the old one? Have you tried a clean install or replacing the hdd with a ssd?

boam

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I have not tried to replace the HD or upgrade memory. The older laptop is about 7 years old but is really slow and not sure if worth spending too much on it. Although I will get model number and do some number crunching.

sep8001

I have an old i3 laptop and replacing the HDD with a ssd and a clean install of Windows made a big difference, so worth a try as ssd prices is low. If you do go via a.ssd upgrade try and go for crucial Mx or Samsung Evo ones.

Max Tout

Novice Member
OP,
I’ve been looking at 15” laptops recently and for the price (£380 inc del) that HP machine looks unassailable;... 8GB ram, 256 GB SSD, IPS screen and a reasonably nippy Ryzen 3 4300U processor.

I don’t think their stock will last long at that price. Do you need to be a Costco member to get the £100 discount?

PassMark Software - List of Benchmarked CPUs

ar3.JPG

boam

Hi Max.

Yes you do need to be a member of Costco to purchase at that price but I think online membership is only 15 quid these days. Unless you know someone with a Costco card and they can buy it for you and deliver straight to your address.

For the money it seems to suit there needs and requirements.

Carbon 60

Hi,

I agree with Max Tout (Welcome to AVForums @Max Tout :)) that the HP on offer at Costco is outstanding value for money. The 15" HP Pavilion with its aluminium shell is well reviewed too on the whole. Note though it doesn't have a backlit keyboard which on that point alone would rule it out for many people.

I looked at 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 15" laptops between £300-500 from all the major GB retailers and there's currently nothing to beat it at that price. The AMD Ryzen 3 4300U CPU easily sees off the latest Intel Core i3 mobile CPUs and it's only 10% slower (approx) than the i5-10300H on the IdeaPad.

Your in-laws definitely don't need the much higher priced IdeaPad gaming laptop. Seeing they're not gamers its only real advantage to them is having the dedicated entry-level GTX 1650 graphics card with its own 4GB video RAM (VRAM), meaning it doesn't need to share the 8GB system RAM.

If they wanted a 15" 8GB RAM 256GB SSD laptop with the same GTX 1650 4GB there's cheaper alternatives such as the MSI GF63 £520 at Laptops Direct: MSI GF63 Thin 10SC-059UK Core i5-10300H 8GB 256GB SSD 15.6 Inch GTX 1650 Windows 10 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct

Last edited:

Max Tout

Novice Member
Hi,

I agree with Max Tout (Welcome to AVForums @Max Tout :)) that the HP on offer at Costco is outstanding value for money. The 15" HP Pavilion with its aluminium shell is well reviewed too on the whole. Note though it doesn't have a backlit keyboard which on that point alone would rule it out for many people.

I looked at 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 15" laptops between £300-500 from all the major GB retailers and there's currently nothing to beat it at that price. The AMD Ryzen 3 4300U CPU easily sees off the latest Intel Core i3 mobile CPUs and it's only 10% slower (approx) than the i5-10300H on the IdeaPad.

Your in-laws definitely don't need the much higher priced IdeaPad gaming laptop. Seeing they're not gamers its only real advantage to them is having the dedicated entry-level GTX 1650 graphics card with its own 4GB video RAM (VRAM), meaning it doesn't need to share the 8GB system RAM.

If they wanted a 15" 8GB RAM 256GB SSD laptop with the same GTX 1650 4GB there's cheaper alternatives such as the MSI GF63 £520 at Laptops Direct: MSI GF63 Thin 10SC-059UK Core i5-10300H 8GB 256GB SSD 15.6 Inch GTX 1650 Windows 10 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct
Thanks for the welcome @Carbon 60

Indeed,...as you say there isn’t much to choose between the two laptop processors in question.

No backlit keyboard on the HP but it does have a ‘touch screen’....if that floats your boat. Personally, I’d be quite happy to trade off the touch-screen for a backlit keyboard, if it was possible!

ici.JPG

87.JPG

Max Tout

Novice Member
The HP is now showing ‘out of stock’;...the special Costco offer didn’t last long, but no surprise really at that price. 😪

boam

I should of pulled the trigger :( is now ooo
They do have 15-eh0009na for 489 though but difficult to see the difference from that to the 15-eh0007na

Max Tout

Novice Member
Got it. Seems to be the processor
Indeed, the Ryzen 5-4500u processor is quite rapid but not sure it justifies the extra £110.

The £380 HP laptop appeared on the hotukdeals.com pages so it’s little wonder that it sold out very quickly.

You can setup ‘alerts’ on hotukdeals so you’ll “Never miss a 'laptop' deal again!”...that’s their proud boast anyway!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom