• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Laptop for a 14 year old TouchScreen?

_Dragon_

Established Member
Hi

So we are going to get a laptop for my 14 year old,Things have just gone so far ahead since i last had a laptop of my own,I now see you can buy touch screen laptops my daughter has said she likes them but we are not after looks,Are the touchscreen ones really worth the extra money? Could things go wrong more easy?

Any help will be appreciated she will be using it for school work plus home fun aswell.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Touchscreens themselves are reliable, the main compromises are a dimmer screen (for resistive and capacitive touchscreens, but not infra-red), shorter battery life and the need to have everything fairly large to use it to best effect - high resolution screens that can fit a lot on don't work so well.

And of course, the inevitable fingerprints all over the screen.

As for whether it's worth it, it arguably adds something but unless she's going to be using a lot of finger-friendly programs I would put it pretty far down the priority list. Focus on getting a good bright screen, accurate touchpad, nice keyboard and decent build quality and if you can satisfy all of them under budget then a touchscreen might be worth getting.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom