1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop external monitor problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by HMHB, Jan 11, 2005.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    A friend has got a problem when trying to run a Packard Bell LCD monitor off the back of her laptop (the laptop screen is on it's last legs). When the display is set to 1024x768 which is the native resolution of the monitor the monitor goes black and comes up with the following message:-
    Mode not supported
    H:35.4Khz
    V:86.6Hz
    The laptop is an Advent 6520 with 64Mb of shared video RAM. If it is set to 800x600 then it displays on the Packard Bell Screen, but it's not very good.
    Any ideas ?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If the resolution is apparently the same as the native panel size of the LCD the only other thing I can think of that it could be complaining about is the selected refresh rate .. 86.6Hz is a bit high for LCDs in my experience, try selecting 60Hz which is their more common horizontal refresh rate.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I'm sure she said that it wouldn't let her pick the refresh rate in the monitor properties, it was described as default monitor. Do monitors come with drivers ? It's difficult to know what the properties said exactly as I'm trying to fix this over the phone.

4. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the comment from KraGorn. 86.6Khz sounds weird. The trouble you have though is trying to configure display properties when you don't have this kit in front of you.

Have you considered asking your friend to try and get updated display drivers. Might be a good start and might inadvertently resolve this problem?

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Monitors don't have drivers as such by they do have a .INF file (there's another term for it which I can't remember at present) which tells the graphics drivers what resolutions and refresh rates the monitor supports. Does Windows correctly identify the monitor by its' name and number, that's often a good indication as to what it thinks its happening.

Try this .. go into the Display applet in Control Panel, click Settings, then Advanced. In the Monitor tab un-check the "Hide modes this doesn't support" option, then go to Adapter tab and click "List All Modes". Now try picking one from there, preferably a 60hz one.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I'll give that a try. The monitor was not identified correctly - it was "default monitor". I've found somewhere to download the latest video drivers for that laptop, but her internet connection is down at the moment :suicide: