Laptop display timeout

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
Would anyone know why my laptop times out every three minutes? I have set everything to NEVER in Display and Power but I am sick to death of it timing out and having to hit the power button and sign in again.

It's an ASUS and crap anyway I know. :(

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
Yes. The screen will timeout every few minutes. Today it has not done this however. Seems to have a mind of its own. I am sure it will be something in settings somewhere that controls this behaviour. It's just that when things don't work properly, it is easy to blame the machine. :rolleyes:

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Yes. The screen will timeout every few minutes. Today it has not done this however. Seems to have a mind of its own. I am sure it will be something in settings somewhere that controls this behaviour. It's just that when things don't work properly, it is easy to blame the machine. :rolleyes:
Right click the battery icon and see what power profile it is on (power options) There is multiple so just check that high performance/balanced/power saver etc are set correctly for screen time out.

You may have changed one to never but power saver or balanced etc may be still set to screen off or put comupter to sleep n 3/5mins as there is settings for both plugged in and on battery.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
I did that but have to say I don't understand any of it. It's doing it again today, going off every two or three minutes. This is a screenshot, could it be anything needs changing on these settings?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Yes. The screen will timeout every few minutes.
I don't understand how the term timeout applies to a laptop screen. What would it be waiting for in the first place?

What are the symptoms? Is there an error message saying something timed out?

If by going off you mean the display goes blank then it could be the backlight failing. If you examine the screen closely or at an angle and can still see an image then that's good confirmation it's the backlight.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
I don't understand how the term timeout applies to a laptop screen. What would it be waiting for in the first place?

What are the symptoms? Is there an error message saying something timed out?
I mean, to me, timeout is a good way of describing it.

The screen goes off every few minutes and you have to press the power button so the login screen comes back, that's what is happening, not sure I can make that any clearer.

That and the fact that it is fudgeing irritating.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
When you say press the power button is this two presses (shut down and restart) or does it come up with just one press?

When In Rome

Distinguished Member

The POWER button is above the ESK key. I press it once each time it goes off. I just found SCREEN TIMEOUT OPTIONS which leads you to the page above [screenshot].

I don't wish to dine out on this but at nine months old, the keypad rarely allows the letters O, T and Y [it's like the kepad sticks] so I have had to plug in an external keyboard which is a bind.

Having twice bought Acer products, which I felt were poor, this thing really is s**t on a stick.

Top Bottom