Laptop cooler

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by =adrian=, Jun 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    So I've recently purchased a laptop for on the road photo editing. The problem is that it hits a 100C within 10-20 min of working in Photoshop. I know some of you have gaming laptops, do you use any additional coolers, if so which? Ideally I don't want anything big and bulky as it needs to travel with me abroad. The laptop doesn't have side vents. Any ideas / recommendations?

[​IMG]

2. moonbeam120

moonbeam120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +342
    What Laptop do you have? It'll be thermal throttling at those temps. How much RAM does it have.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  3. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    Thermal throttling is one thing. Catching fire is another :D

What's surprising is that this is only when photoshopping, not gaming

Specs are bellow

Inspiron 15 - 7570 Windows 10 Home
    LCD Back Cover : Platinum Silver UHD Touch Screen with HD camera
    Primary 4-cell 56W/HR Integrated Battery
    Intel 7265AC + BT4.2 [802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5GHz, 2x2]
    RAM: 16GB (1x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
    15.6 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160) IPS Truelife LED-Backlit Narrow Border Touch Display
    65W AC Adapter
    SSD: 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U (Quad Core, up to 4.00 GHz, 8MB Cache, 15W)
    Windows 10 Home (64bit)
    Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Backlit Keyboard
    GPU: 4GB NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

4. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    Came across something intriguing today, undervolting, but I need to read more about it. What do you guys think about that?

5. Kev Greenhalgh

Kev Greenhalgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741
  6. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    Yes, I've seen them and watch quite a few reviews of various cooling pads and cooling fans. However, the whole point of this laptop is to be able to work in Photoshop on the road, most specifically when I'm abroad and additional cooling pad will be just another device in my, already heavy, backpack. Besides from what I've seen so far, they only reduce temps by a few degrees, which in this case is simply not enough. I need to go down from a 100, to 70-80.

Yesterday I have done some more testing and lifting the laptop off the surface of the desk lowers the max temps to around 92. Good start, but need more than that.

7. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
  8. Kev Greenhalgh

Kev Greenhalgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I'm just having a read of this ThrottleStop and it's a pretty hefty piece of software (by hefty I mean comprehensive). It's worth a try, and you don't need telling twice there's risk involved. But for god sake use a different HDD and not the one you use for work (obvious point made obviously) :)

Speaking of hard drives.. Would using an external HDD or SSD (I know that SSDs with superior RaW speeds are ball-achingly expensive though) help in removing one more source of heat from the chassis?

9. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    Not even crossed my mind that the NVMe SSD could be also generating a lot of heat, but it makes sense. There is only one SSD / HDD inside, so I have to use that as scratch disk for Photoshop. Not ideal of course. However, looking at the screenshot in post 1, the drive only goes up to 46C, both GPUs also stay bellow 80C. It's only the CPU that hits extreme temps.

BTW, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "for god sake use a different HDD and not the one you use for work". If you mean that in case I lose any data, then no worries. This is still new purchase, so I don't really have any important work on it yet (it was only bought for me to be able to work on holiday).

10. Kev Greenhalgh

Kev Greenhalgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741
    What I meant was, If you're going to try out 3rd party software either back-up your hard drive or use a different one. The last thing you want is for said software to brick your HDD, the one with all your work on.:smashin:

11. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    So I've been with a Dell technician on the phone for 90 min, he has remotely connected to the laptop, updated some drivers, uninstalled some software, installed other and I am to give it a test and let them know.

12. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    OK, so I've done some testing and no real improvement. I hit 96C. He suggested to check what's the allowed temps for this CPU and it's 100C. So something doesn't seem right.

Also I've noticed one crazy design fault. I have two exhausts at the back of the laptop. From one extremely hot air comes out. Presumably that is the main exhaust for the fan. However, when I tilt the screen back, more than 90 degrees, the bottom of the screen covers half of the back exhausts. Crazy

13. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    One things which I also should mention is that I don't really feel any thermal throttling. Even when it hits the extreme temps, everything runs as it should.

14. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,344
    That’s the downside with laptops with the old 9xx series nvidia chips. They got ridiculously hot.
    I reviewed a few and usually had concerns about the longevity of something that regularly got as hot as they did.

I assume you’ve looked at the external cooling options available?

15. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    The temps on the nVidia are actually not to bad. 70-75 when in Photoshop. It is the CPU temps that bother me. 100C after 15-20 min working in Photoshop.

Laptop is meant to be portable and was bought to enable me to work outside of the studio, external cooling pad is just another device to be lugging around. I would like to avoid it if I can.

16. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,344
    The thing is the 9 series chips were just very poor in comparison to the desktop equivalents. Nothing like the 10 series chips for example. Because of that the CPU is running it’s bollocks off to keep up. Unfortunately short of throttling it or getting an external cooler, there isn’t much else you can do.

How much did you pay out of interest?

17. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    It was bought for Photoshop, GPU is only secondary to CPU and RAM when it comes to this kind of work. I was not intending to game on it at all. I am surprised that Photoshop kills this laptop. My main desktop rig doesnt even break sweat running PS.

It was 900 from the outlet.

18. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    What is also strange, is that the idle temps are quite good. Low 40s. Very quiet. But as soon as it gets under heavy load and the turbo boost kicks in the temps go crazy high

19. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,078
    They mention 94 here and also mention they reccomend a bios update but don't mention why so might be worth doing anyway.
    If plan to keep it could also redo the paste on the cooler for something defo good even tho much more of a faff than desktop it may just knock few celcius off and when hot weather cools off gonna be better as well.

Remember most would buy and never notice these things we are just geeky lol so should be fine (especially when weather cools off my ambient is up near 10c).

Dell Inspiron 15 7570 (i7-8550U, 940MX) Laptop Review

20. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    The warm ambient temps might be an issue as well, but I live in Scotland and whilst 20C is unusually hot for Scotland, the laptop will be travelling abroad where 20 might be considered as cool ;) It is also meant to be my workhorse when away from my main rig, therefore it needs to be pretty bulletproof. And I can say that it is a pretty good laptop, it is very fast, dead quiet when idle, quite thin and the 4k UHD 100% AdobeRGB touch display is just gorgeous. However, the thermal performance under load worries me.

Yes, I agree, most people wouldn't even know it hits temps like that, but since I am a little geek at heart, it worries me and now, instead of concentrating on working in PS, i constantly check the temps. Worrying part is that 100C is the limit for that CPU and yet it hits it quite often. Too often.

As I said, what is also strange is that I don't feel any slowdowns, even when it hits 100C.

It has the latest BIOS, updated it yesterday and checked today by Dell technician. He has also found that Intel Thermal Performance (or similar name) driver was installed 4 times. He has uninstalled them all and installed the latest version (which has not changed anything). He has also updated the firmware for the NVMe drive. I have updated graphics drivers also.

As for thermal paste, it has crossed my mind. While I have built a few desktop rigs in my life, I don't feel as confident with laptops with its tiny and fragile components. Besides I have a year of premium Dell support for it for a year, so don't want to lose that either.

I will be firing the Dell technician an email tomorrow, so that he can have a look at it again on Monday. He asked for an update.

21. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,078
    We had it 31.4c other day in Scotland too (Glasgow ish) so it lucky if you only 20c lol. The other day and my pc room was over 33c. Will have an effect. My msi laptop was mid 80's other day playing pubg usually 70's but can go high it depends. I learned to live with it. After removing dodgy stock software that fudgeed up fans from time to time. Narrowed it down to Nahimic sound drivers. Had mid 90's then when fans stopped ramping up.

But as said not much u can do. Turn boost off in bios if poss? Have to have compromises in laptops anyway so really need it boosting to 4ghz? Sure stock would be pretty good. If can mess with it that is.

22. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    Yes, it was really hot for a couple of days here too, but now down to around 20 (which is still very nice for Scottish summer and I'm definitely not complaining ;)).

The boost is nice to have and Photoshop likes fasts CPUs, so it would be handy to have. However, it is an option I haven't really considered. Worst case scenario, I will do that. I have been searching around for solution plus also just having a look around and I must say that I have not really seen any instances of temps reaching that high with laptops. Plenty of concerned people about idle temps (which are very good here), or getting to 80s under load, but hitting a 100? That is pretty extreme. And that worries me. I would take 80s any day, but it cannot be good for the CPU running at its absolute max.

I want to see what Dell will come up first. I think he was running out of ideas already today, but I will give him another go on Monday to see if he has some aces up his sleeve. That failing, I might go with the undervolting to see if that improves things. I might also disable the boost (I would rather not). Worst case scenario, I will need to send it back as I am worried that the CPU and battery won't last long under such heavy temps... but would rather like to avoid that either, as it is pretty much exactly what I was after for fraction of the price of MacbookPro.

23. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I'm sure there used to be a switch in Photoshop to allow it to render using the GPU instead of the CPU. This might alleviate some of the load from the CPU and keep the temperature down.

24. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Could this help in any way ?
    switch to hardware acceleration !
    The REAL Reason We Switched to INTEL ... For...

25. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    So I just had a look at Photoshop and Windows settings. For Photoshop it defaults to my dedicated GPU (nVidia 940MX) instead of Intel GPU. But the option to use graphics processor in Photoshop has been there for ages. I have it enabled in my CS6 and also in the newest CC2018. It doesn't look like anything changed there in Photoshop recently (unlike Premiere).

I have switched to integrated graphics to see if it makes any changes but won't be able to test it properly until evening.

26. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    Came back not so long ago and spent the last 30 min on the laptop in PS and the temps are so much better. Only once it jumped to high 80s, most of the time oscillating between 60-70s. Can it really be that simple? Just changing to integrated GPU and job done?

What is also interesting is that even though I have selected the Intel GPU to be the main card for PS, the nVidia GPU also works hard. In the 30 min in PS, the Intel GPU went up to 100% utilisation, the nVdia went up to 99%.

Hmmm I really really hope that it is the issue fixed. Back to PS, will test a bit more to be sure.

27. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,344
    Most likely yes. As I said previously the 9 series chips were pretty dreadful and made the cpu work its arse off so forcing it to use the intel GPU should help, as it has done here.

28. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Daft question, have you cleaned it of dust recently using compressed air?

I can't see you mentioning it anywhere and they will get a surprising large amount of dust that will ramp the temperatures up no end.

29. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,147
    It was delivered from Dell last week. There shouldn't really be any dust and looking at the vents they look quite clean.

30. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Sorry missed the new bit.

Re-read the post.

I wouldn't be happy that my new laptop albeit from an outlet is getting to those temperatures. Could there be an underlying fault with the laptop???

Sometimes there can be issues with certain processors and hitting high temps. There was a thread with a desktop CPU that was spiking temps.

Also some software has issues getting the right temperature. Are the fans maxing out when you hit those temps?