1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop connections trouble

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Paul Feldman, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Paul Feldman

Paul Feldman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to record through the vcr/tv edited movies from my laptop. I have connected the laptop through its tv out 4-pin connector to the video in of the vcr. I am doing it through the vcr because my digi-box is cabled up in such a way that the vcr is where it all goes through. Then I play the movie on the laptop and see in on the tv in true colour and full screen. I press record on the vcr to capture what's on the tv. But when I play it back, it's in black and white. The vcr is a new Toshiba combi vcr/dvd and so has loads of plugs/connections etc. I am new to all this and don't really understand stuff about SVHS, rgb etc. etc. Any ideas about what to do next?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    you might be putting out an NTSC colour signal that the vcr can't record but the TV will handle ok. Have a look around your video card settings.

Alternatively if that fails you can buy analogue colour frequency convertor boxes that will map the NTSC signal into a PAL one albeit with a slight quality loss ( not a standards transcoder) for about 50quid last time I checked.

3. Paul Feldman

Paul Feldman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the laptop setup and it was already putting out a PAL signal.

4. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,966
    Is the movie you are trying to record on a DVD ? If so it will be the copy protection.

5. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yor not trying to record s video on a standard vhs or composite in svhs mode are you? If you have a combi theres a good chance it'd be a svhs deck.