Laptop charger concerns

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by arenaman, Dec 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,845
    Hi, I've got a HP pavilion 15 beats audio laptop and the original charger packed up so I bought one of these universal ones from Argos

Buy Trust 90W Universal Laptop Charger at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Laptop power cables, chargers and batteries, Laptop and PC accessories, Laptops and PCs, Technology.

It lasted a week then made a popping nose and stopped working. The 3 amp fuse had blown, I changed the fuse and pop it blew the new fuse again

I took it back and exchanged it as faulty no problem but I notice there's a few reviews on the argos site about this happening to other people.

Is the thing safe to use? it's working but I can't help thinking this one is going to blow at some stage

Cheers

2. MarkJones15

MarkJones15
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure someone will tell you it is safe to use buy I wouldn't. When it comes to chargers I always use the genuine ones from the manufacturer (just look at all the recent news about dodgy Apple chargers). I know it's Argos... Not eBay.. but still. If the thing has already blown a fuse I'd just get a genuine HP one..

3. Winky

Winky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    The specs. might be marginal in using a universal charger. In other words it might work but not as well, or it might not work at all. The "universal" chargers try to fit as many models as possible. Might not use the same components or might use components of a lesser quality.

Since you already have it. If you intend to try to keep it, I wouldn't use it around anything flammable and I wouldn't use it when you're not around. I'm not trying to scare you, but if it over heats you don't want a fire. Ideally I would opt for the factory charger.

I had a HP laptop charger that would literally grow hot to the touch and the cord would get very warm. It was a bad connection inside the charger port, but this kind of thing has made me very wary.