1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop CD/DVD Drive Query...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kelvin, Mar 20, 2005.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've had an "incident" with my laptop which has resulted in a broken DVD/CD-RW drive :( :(

Looking around for replacements, it appears that a number are labelled as "Toshiba/Dell/HP etc. Replacement Drive" which is worrying me a little as mine is an unbranded model around 3 years old.

Are laptop drives generic like their desktop equivalents? Or are they completely brand specific?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Kelvin.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The drives themselves tend to be generic. However , the casing is specific to the laptop.

Basically you should be able to swap just the drive itself if the housing/casing is physically OK. Requires minimal DIY skills :D

Best of luck with it.

:smoke:

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for the response Kramer - much appreciated :)

I managed to restore power to the drive today but the bios is still refusing to recognise anything there - a new drive is definitely in order I think!

I may be in luck in that the same laptops are used by my fathers company - i'm going to pop in tomorrow in the hope of them having a few "spares" machines lying around ;) Hopefully the swap will go smoothly and there won't be any ancillary damage internally :rolleyes:

K.