Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

laptop cannot drive projector on component connection

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by triden, Dec 18, 2004.

1. triden

triden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We recently just got a projector to make things easier for us. Anyhow, right now we are powering it with a laptop VGA out on laptop to VGA in on projector Everthing works well. The problem is when we try to run the projector on the component connections. It comes with a cable that hooks up to the monitor port on the laptop and then connects to the Component connection on the projector. For some reason, the projector doesnt detect any video signal and nothing displays. We need to get this connection working as we already have component cables run throughout the building. If we hook up a dvd player to the projector via component, everything wroks well...just not with the laptop. It's an EIKI EIK-25 DLP projector. Help with this would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I am not quite a expert in component yet but,

I don't think you can just go from VGA to component as the signal is still vga. It needs to be converted from VGA to component before it gets to the projector.

The signal needs to be YPbPr component through a vga socket. The signal is probably Y/Cr/Cb. I think you will need a VGA to YPbPr component converter.

I can't seem to find one. Perhaps someone else knows where to get them.

3. triden

triden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The projector actually came with a cable that has VGA on one end and 3 component on the other end. This is what we are trying to use. You think they cable is at fault maybe?

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I know, but I don't think it will necessary work. If I am wrong then someone else can maybe help.

Have a look at this ebay auction. It does vga to component but is not compatible with monitor ports.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32837&item=5737556865&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I think you may need something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=298&item=3860961220&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    THis cable is probably so you can use another component output device on your projector via the VGA port, not the other way round.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038

That makes sense. So you could put two DVD players with component output on the projector using the component input for one and the VGA input for the other.

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yes. It's quite a common feature on projectors that don't feature seperate Component inputs, although i've not seen it on a unit that ALREADY has component input.

8. triden

triden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys I figured it out. Apparently what I need is an RGBHV cable. Common for tehse kind of setups im told. I ordered two of them from here:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cables.html#hd15rgbhv