Laptop buying decision: lenovo or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MACorWindows, Sep 11, 2012.

1. MACorWindows

MACorWindows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am doing a Civil engineering masters at university. Now, I currently have:

HP Compaq Presario CQ61-200-CQ61-222SA Specifications, Reviews and Shopping | BitDynasty

I am currently replacing the screen on as it has gone negative, and is a poor piece of equipment that has lasted three years. But it is literally in two pieces at the moment.

It could handle my needs from day to day. However it was lacking that processing power and RAM to run autoCAD and ArcGIS.

I am faced with the dilemma to get a 15' macbook pro (£1300) with student discount. Or something along these lines:

Lenovo Z580 M81D2UK

The main factor being build quality steering me towards the macbook, and the specs of the lenovo (even considering the poor graphics card).

I just really want to build my own laptop with 8 GB of ram, SSD, HDMI, USB3 and an independent graphics card. Also the i7 processor is taunting me.

So the budget is 400-1300 effectively the best value for money within this range.

I have been thinking about this for a good solid week. Will somebody sway me one way or the other.:lease:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    Best value for money depends on what you need so I'd put aside specific models and specs and make a list of your requirements in general. For example:

How long do you want it to last? Is another machine that lasts 5 years acceptable or do you want something that'll last until you have to throw it away because it's obsolete?

Where will you be using it? Is it likely to be in danger of being stolen and you want it to be discrete? Perhaps it's more likely to be facing environmental challenges like bright sunlight or dusty building sites?

Is weight and/or battery life a concern? If that battery life under light usage conditions (web design, writing) or will it be running autocad for hours at a time on battery?

3. MACorWindows

MACorWindows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response EndlessWaves. Well I want it to last effectively with price. Ie I would expect a 400 pound laptop to last me for 2-3 years whereas a MacBook pro to last 6 years really. Lifespan of the battery definitely is an issue as I am on my 3rd battery in three years and that struggles with 40 mins life. Effectively I run the laptop into the ground or until I need something more and then pass it down to a family member.

I have an iPad for site, so it's just for going between uni and home for now, but I don't know past this next year. I could be going abroad where I will need something robust. It will be powered by mains for autocad use. But for light use it would be nice to have 2 hours battery. An upgradable ultrabook would be ideal really. I would like an SSD and 8gb of ram with an i7 processor.

As said before sturdiness is key as I've had that compaq laptop, with three batterys, I've changed the power adapter and screen now.