Laptop buying advice

Stanman

Looking to buy alaptop for my daughter.
She is currently in college and it will be course work and video watching.
I could pick something up lot cheaper but she's set in a MacBook size and weight / appearance one.
I've seen these three, in terms of screen resolution and power which is best?

I am restricted to Curries as have vouchers to use
Thank you.

Carbon 60

Hi Stanman,

In terms of raw power when you look at the benchmarks there's not much to choose between the Intel 10210U & 10510U but we have a clear winner in the Apple M1. However raw power on benchmark tests isn't the only consideration so you can't directly compare Intel and Apple on this factor alone. The architecture is different as is the software.

Screen resolution? Well, both the Dell and HP have Full HD 1920 x 1080 on IPS panels. The Dell XPS is their flagship model and its screen is excellent. The Apple's is Retina Quad HD 2560 x 1600 also on an IPS panel and is much sharper and with greater depth due to the higher pixel density.

The drawbacks to the Apple's screen are that most movies are designed to be viewed on Full HD, and it will consume more system resources and reduce battery standby time.

You're paying a hefty premium for both the Apple and the XPS due to the better quality components and build quality. Note there are no USB slots on the Apple.

Although you have picked those three and leaving the Apple to one side, both these following two laptops with the Ryzen 5 4500U CPU are much more powerful than both the Intel CPUs, have a similar weight and are cheaper - Acer Swift 3 14" and Asus VivoBook M413IA 14".

Stanman

Hi Stanman,

In terms of raw power when you look at the benchmarks there's not much to choose between the Intel 10210U & 10510U but we have a clear winner in the Apple M1. However raw power on benchmark tests isn't the only consideration so you can't directly compare Intel and Apple on this factor alone. The architecture is different as is the software.

Screen resolution? Well, both the Dell and HP have Full HD 1920 x 1080 on IPS panels. The Dell XPS is their flagship model and its screen is excellent. The Apple's is Retina Quad HD 2560 x 1600 also on an IPS panel and is much sharper and with greater depth due to the higher pixel density.

The drawbacks to the Apple's screen are that most movies are designed to be viewed on Full HD, and it will consume more system resources and reduce battery standby time.

You're paying a hefty premium for both the Apple and the XPS due to the better quality components and build quality. Note there are no USB slots on the Apple.

Although you have picked those three and leaving the Apple to one side, both these following two laptops with the Ryzen 5 4500U CPU are much more powerful than both the Intel CPUs, have a similar weight and are cheaper - Acer Swift 3 14" and Asus VivoBook M413IA 14".
Thank you for that, are the screens on either of those comparable to the Macbook? TBH any modern laptop will be fast enough for her, the amount of time she will spend in front of it, think a better screen than faster CPU would be better.

I had a look at the spec and both say FHD but not all FHD are the same?

I am tempted by the Acer as its the lighter of the two.

Carbon 60

I'm having a busy time here today. :)

The Macbook has an outstanding screen and I seriously doubt the screens on the 2 laptops I posted are as good. Whether you can tell the difference though is another matter. Perhaps you and your daughter, when lockdown ends, could visit a Currys PC World store together and ask a salesperson if you could see the laptops switched on to judge for yourselves.

You could phone in advance to check they are in stock at the store but I wouldn't recommend asking the salesperson for their advice. My experience I'm sorry to say, is they know next to nothing. Also I'm sure you know this already but do NOT take out an extended warranty as they're never worth the cost.

There's 2 main types of FHD, QHD and UHD panels. Generally speaking, on cheaper laptops we have TN (Twisted Nematic), on more expensive laptops there's IPS (In Plane Switching), and a 3rd type falling in between and not as common is VA (Vertical Alignment).

TN panels offer faster response rates and are cheaper to manufacture but the viewing angles are poor as is the colour accuracy and contrast. IPS panels have slower response rates and are expensive to manufacture, the viewing angles are great as is the colour accuracy and contrast. VA tries to combine the advantages of TN & IPS.

garryboy

Is she going to be doing any of graphic design where a QHD or 4K would be necessary. It’s likely going to be a 14” screen laptop where 1080p is more than adequate and a sweet spot for viewing pleasure and battery life.
Just make sure it’s IPS for the viewing angles and has above 250 nits fine for indoor use. Youl need a much brighter screen for outdoor use.

also before opting for the MacBook in M1 guise make sure it can run all the programs she is likely to use. They can’t run windows like intel MacBooks.

Stanman

Is that for security reasons? Data theft ect
Its to do with their human rights record and the many Chinese companies to be complicit in that as well as the way they handled the Covid cooperation with WHO.

Granted my not buying will probably do FA to their bottom but "every little little helps".

garryboy

Its to do with their human rights record and the many Chinese companies to be complicit in that as well as the way they handled the Covid cooperation with WHO.

Granted my not buying will probably do FA to their bottom but "every little little helps".

fair enough mate. We all have our principles 👍.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom